"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with the proper wiring for an SC 1443A

Started by recyklotron, January 08, 2013, 01:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recyklotron

Happy New year everyone,
  I picked up this Stromberg Carlson 1443A in an antique store, my first phone for 2013 & first time for an SC. It was marked $30 & I talked the dealer down to $20. Not sure if I got a good deal or not as it was absolutely filthy & someone apparently worked on the phone before me as the line cord has been changed to modular. It is/was wired directly to L1 & L2 w.o benefit  of
spades.(BTW,I just received the crimp tool from Frys.com & picked up the spades @ Radio Shack - can't wait to try it out on this phone!). (FRYS.COM D-sub Crimp Tool $8.49+$1.99 shipping http://tinyurl.com/afox83n  )
I found the black ringer wire disconnected so to test the phone I taped the wire to the terminal. The phone has dial tone & I was able to make a call & to have someone call me back. The phone rang &  I was able to hear & be heard.
I was hopeful that this might be an easy fix, to just solder the wire back into place & give it a good cleaning.
    Then I found a wiring diagram for an SC 1443w     http://tinyurl.com/bebe2gf  . I traced all the wires according to the diagram & they all match with the exception of the ringer wires & capacitor. The red ringer wire in my phone is joined to one leg of the capacitor while the other leg goes directly to L2.The black wire is connected to terminal 3 & unconnected on
the other end. Not at all like the wiring diagram! I should add that there is no volume controller.  Should there even be a capacitor outside the network?

I have the following questions:
  - What is the date of this phone? I found visual references online to SC    1243s   & 1543s     but none to this model. I'm thinking it was made around 1950?
  - The handset is unmarked - is it the correct one for this phone? The receiver capsule is marked (AE Co. TYPE 41  CB  05189C).
    I can not budge the transmitter cover - any suggestions on how to loosen it?
  - What about the straight handset cord? Is it correct for this model?
  - How do I remove the finger wheel &  how do I oil the dial? In my photo of the back of the dial I have removed the trap door. It looks like the terminal screws on the back of the dial all have to come off to gain access but I thought I would
    ask first.
  - I removed the chrome ring from the dial & there is some damage to the plastic ridge underneath the ring which is  not visible when the ring is in place. Any place I can find a new/used one?

There is nothing connected to terminal 15.
   The ringer coil is number 668.
   The network is labeled 208359 in orange, the original molded number having been crossed out.
   The dial is a 441.
   I don't recognize anything that might be a date code as found on Western Electrics. 
    I have not done any meter testing on the circuits yet.

Thanks for your help
      Jonathan/Boston

PS: I wrote this email in stages & since starting it I have tried my new crimper using Bill Geurts' photo tutorial  http://tinyurl.com/c3x8sfo I found in an old forum thread http://tinyurl.com/a86hwgq
Worked on my first attempt! Thanks Bill et al.

HowardPgh

Interesting looking phone!                                                                             The external cap may be there because the one inside the network block may be bad.  It appears tha #15 is just a tie point.
Is the ringer loudness control still in the phone?
Do you have an overall arial view of the chassis?  I have never seen one of these in person,  Now I have to find another one for my non Western Electric 500 wannabees collection.
The handset is for an AE 40.
Howard
Howard

Nick in Manitou

Recyklotron,

I have heard that there were a relatively small number of the 1443's made.  I believe that the carry handle on these were a weak point in that they were not really strong enough to hold the weight of the phone.

The example I have has the carry handle missing and a cracked front corner (probably as a result of the handle failing).

Is the handle on yours intact?

I am now motivated to search this forum and other places to see what I can learn about the 1443A.

I haven't spent much time in mine in that it worked when I bought it and it went right into service at the bedside.

Nick

LarryInMichigan

The 1443s had the ringer capacitor (condenser) in the network, so an external capacitor should not be needed.  I don't know why someone would have added one to your phone.

The network often has a date code stamped in vermilion on the top of the network.

The handset on your phone is an AE type 41.  The 1443 should have the same handset as the 1243.

Larry

recyklotron

Thanks guys - here is the aerial photo & 1 of the case. It looks like there is no volume adjustment part. The case is crack free & in pretty good shape except for a couple of long but shallow scratches & a small gouge.

If I loosen the hex nut on the dial will the finger wheel come off or will I loose the windup spring?

Still early days for my telephone collecting & I have not formed any particular attachment to this phone. I do really like the Teleconcept clear Lucite phones from the 70s as well as the modern looking Design Line phones. I have no plans to sell phones on eBay at this time and am willing to trade/sell this phone in whole or part for a space age modern looking one. Also anything in primary orange.

Best,
Jonathan  (jandp1111@gmail.com)

LarryInMichigan

QuoteIf I loosen the hex nut on the dial will the finger wheel come off or will I loose the windup spring?

Removing the hex nut will allow you to remove the finger wheel.  If you are careful to leave the metal tab beneath the finger wheel in place, the spring will not unwind.

Larry

Nick in Manitou

I am wondering if the case on Recyklotron's phone might actually not be from a 1443 because of the type of carry handle it has.

I read at ericofon.com/catalog/classic2/sc1443.htm that: The 1443, "was short lived as it was replaced soon after with the 1543. The difference between the two is that the 1443 had a small bale between the cradle ears for carrying the phone. So small that it had a tendency to break easily. They made it much more sturdy in the 1543 model.

I have attached a couple photos of the phone I have that is stamped with "1443" on the base.  The carry handle it had appears to have been a strap only about 3/8" wide.

Anyone out there have a 1443 they can take a photo of the shows the "small bale" referred to in the quote above?

I am not trying to dis Recyklotron's phone in any way, just trying to make sure that I understand what I think I have.

Thanks,
Nick

rdelius

1443 sets uasually have big feet and a cut out on the finger hold.sometimes the eariler handsat like the 1243 or 1222.I think the circuit is more like the 302 set  ,remove the tx capsule and you will loose dial tone.I think the network in the 1543 acts like the 500 set
circuit wise