News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red Western Electric 500 Soft Plastic--How did I do here?

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, October 24, 2013, 12:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Contempra:

An open center dial, like the one here, is a bit like the metal dials on 302s and early 500s, in the sense that the dial card retainer sticks out farther from the rest of the dial, with the exception that the retainer is molded into the dial. the clear plastic film that fits in front of the dial card is separately molded from the dial, like the metal ones. The later closed-center dials replaced their counterparts, sometime in the mid to late 1960s. These dials are completely one-piece, and the plastic film is built into the dial. These dials are smoother and better shaped, without a bulging dial card retainer in the center. I personally like the open-centers better, because I think they look better on a phone like this.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

RotarDad

Christian - Awesome red color and nice job on the restoration!

On the finger wheels, the old version has a hole in the middle which requires a celluloid disk to cover the dial card, just like the metal wheel centers used.  With the change to the #9 dial in '65, WE simplified the finger wheels and made it one piece (solid center), which no longer required a separate celluloid.  The old ones are "proper" for a #7 dial.
Paul

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: RotarDad on October 29, 2013, 10:39:48 PM
Christian - Awesome red color and nice job on the restoration!

On the finger wheels, the old version has a hole in the middle which requires a celluloid disk to cover the dial card, just like the metal wheel centers used.  With the change to the #9 dial in '65, WE simplified the finger wheels and made it one piece (solid center), which no longer required a separate celluloid.  The old ones are "proper" for a #7 dial.

Well, a lot better than I could explain it :P
Christian Petterson

RotarDad

Your explanation was good also, and you beat me to the post!
Paul

AE40FAN

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: AE40FAN on October 30, 2013, 09:26:00 AM
Christian,

Looks fantastic, better than new!

Thanks! I still need a line cord, but I can borrow a section from the 20 foot line cord off my '74 500. I also should eventually re-coil and clean the handset cord.
Christian Petterson

Contempra

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 29, 2013, 10:38:34 PM
Contempra:

An open center dial, like the one here, is a bit like the metal dials on 302s and early 500s, in the sense that the dial card retainer sticks out farther from the rest of the dial, with the exception that the retainer is molded into the dial. the clear plastic film that fits in front of the dial card is separately molded from the dial, like the metal ones. The later closed-center dials replaced their counterparts, sometime in the mid to late 1960s. These dials are completely one-piece, and the plastic film is built into the dial. These dials are smoother and better shaped, without a bulging dial card retainer in the center. I personally like the open-centers better, because I think they look better on a phone like this.

Okay thank you christian ;)

rinaldit2

Wow, amazing polishing job!  What did you use to attain that shine?

-Tom Rinaldi, Rhinebeck, NY