News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Designer of the AE 40

Started by HobieSport, April 29, 2009, 09:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

We had WE 500's, a couple of beige ones when I was a pup.  We actually lived in a 1920s M'waukee Bungalow that had a candlestick phone in it, and one day the landlord was there and it had disappeared.  Dad wanted it and the landlord just acted like had never even noticed the phone before. 

But anyways, they were just a regular phone for us too, that's part of what I like about the 500's.  They are great, and at my last count I beleive I'm up to 16 of them, including one 554.
- Tom

McHeath

16, wow impressive.  And I recall when you only had 1!!  Of course as recently as last June I only had 1 as well, the missus asked tonight how many I have and I could not tell her as I'm not sure.   ;D

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath
16, wow impressive.  And I recall when you only had 1!!  Of course as recently as last June I only had 1 as well, the missus asked tonight how many I have and I could not tell her as I'm not sure.   ;D

Tom, I remember when you had one or two 500s also and were talking about getting your own house someday to put a phone in every room.  At this point can we conclude that you may either 1.)  Get a sixteen room home, or 2.) Build a new home by laying thousands of 500s like bricks? ;D  Just teasing of course.  Your appreciation of the 500 simply shows your impeccable taste in phones, along with your cars, etc.. :)

McHeath, Six months or so ago I didn't have a single old phone, and now I too have lost count.  But I've slowed way down now and only bid low for phones that are really special for some reason.  I do intend to refurbish and sell most of them though, as next Winter's project, and only keep the cream of the crop.  Otherwise they might all turn against me en mass on a dark and stormy night, all ringing at once, like some weird Bruce Cambell movie. :o

Ellen

Quote from: McHeath on May 01, 2009, 01:07:00 AMthe missus asked tonight how many I have and I could not tell her as I'm not sure.   ;D
I read a book on old tractors, and the author advised that a collector NEVER put them all together, no matter how nice they would look, because then the spouse could count them.  I almost got a tractor passion, but city living saved me - no place to hide them.  Phones are better.  Andy doesn't know how many I have.

BDM

Quote from: Ellen on May 01, 2009, 06:10:11 AM
Quote from: McHeath on May 01, 2009, 01:07:00 AMthe missus asked tonight how many I have and I could not tell her as I'm not sure.   ;D
I read a book on old tractors, and the author advised that a collector NEVER put them all together, no matter how nice they would look, because then the spouse could count them.  I almost got a tractor passion, but city living saved me - no place to hide them.  Phones are better.  Andy doesn't know how many I have.

Never stopped me ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Holy Tractor Pull BDM-man!  What a collection!  I had a friend once who had that little one, he was happy as a clam at high tide when working on it, go out in the evenings after work and putz around with this and that.

And I don't know what model the one on the right is, with the narrow front wheels, but I worked on one back in Texas a hundred years ago, trying to keep it running for the place I worked.  It needed a new radiator at one point cuz' a guy drove it into a tree, and I tracked one down in East Texas and drove over there to get it.  It was a fun machine to use and work on.

But I do tend to agree with the sentiment that keeping the collection discretely segregated is wise when dealing with partners who have not been bitten by the same bug.  ;)

BDM

The Super M off to the right, now belongs to a friend. The W6 to the left was never mine. It belongs to my neighbor who recently passed away. The Farmall 100 in the middle, I still own. But, I don't want to stray off topic. Last post in this, as I/we should take it to the off topic forum.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Now then, to rein the pony back to the question:  Are the working inner parts of the AE 34 and 40 different, or were the changes basically cosmetic?  Inquiring AE40 fans want to know. :)

BDM

Yes, they are. I don't have the info handy, but they used an earlier anti-sidetone network. I'll post the info unless someone beats me to it.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

AET

Quote from: HobieSport on May 01, 2009, 01:35:29 AM

Tom, I remember when you had one or two 500s also and were talking about getting your own house someday to put a phone in every room.  At this point can we conclude that you may either 1.)  Get a sixteen room home, or 2.) Build a new home by laying thousands of 500s like bricks? ;D  Just teasing of course.  Your appreciation of the 500 simply shows your impeccable taste in phones, along with your cars, etc.. :)

Yep guys, I got addicted fast!  I just love these 500s.  My plans are like yours though, I am going to keep my favorites and sell off duplicates after a good cleaning up.  I still one to put one in every room, and will definately have good examples of these phones, I am currently pursuing harvest gold and avacodo green for my own personal enjoyment.

My dad used to restore tractors and we had quite a few, but we moved off the farm and all went except for one.  now we're back in the country and still have that 1970 Ford 3400 Front End Loader.  Love that machine.  She ain't perfect anymore, she's a workhorse and my dad restored her probably 10-12 years ago. 

Here's Dad cleaning up the driveway.
- Tom

HobieSport

Here is an absolutely pristine AE 34 on Ebay.  Note the interesting use of carnauba and beeswax to get the bakelite to glow.  Gosh what a great phone.  I drool. :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320366572735

bingster

That's one sweet 34.  I'm sure the price will go up at the end, but I'm a bit surprised that it's only drawn out one bidder so far.
= DARRIN =

BDM

I've never noticed a 34 has no rear handle so as to allow movement of the phone. Maybe that's why we rarely see them? Most folks dropped them while attempting to move it :o ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

I've always found that odd, too.  The only way to move it is to get the fingers of both hands underneath it and pick it up.  Even on the 40, the fingergrip appears to be an afterthought.  I've always preferred the 34's looks though.  It's a beautiful telephone.  Which is probably why it showed up in so many of the swankier movies of the 1930s.
= DARRIN =

Tonyrotary

Wow, that AE34 is super sweet! I can't believe how shiny and new looking it is. I like the little bit of history he posted about it as well. It might not be a AE40 but I would settle for this one ;D