News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help, my G1 handset has a stuck cap

Started by foots, May 16, 2009, 11:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

I've used the search function and didn't find what I am looking for though I'm pretty sure I read somewhere about how to remove stuck caps. This is the handset for my black multiline phone. Both caps were stuck though I managed to remove the reciever cap with a firm grip and steady torque. I tried the same with the other cap and I actually sprained my hand pretty badly - enough to keep me awake most of last night.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dennis Markham

I stand behind my hair dryer method.  Get a hair dryer and heat up the stuck cap real good.  Warm enough that you can still grab it but barely.  It should then come right off.  The plastic caps often stick on the Bakelite handset.  Also the transmitter ends tend to stick more often...they get all that sticky saliva in there.....

foots

Thanks, I knew I read something about that somewhere. Maybe on your site? There is so much great info between this site, your site, and Jorge's writeups its hard to remember everything. That and the fact folks are willing to share info have made this a wonderful hobby thus far, one that I'm enjoying very much so far. 

Dennis Markham

Glad to help.  We're all still learning....that's what makes it fun.

McHeath

One day I tired using a jar opener gizmo that we got at the Supermarket.  It's got various sized holes with some sort of rubbery stuff, and you can get quite the leverage.  It popped the plastic caps off a G1 bakelite in no time.  I was worried they would break, but no problems happened, though you might not want to do this for a prize phone. 

benhutcherson

I've not found one yet that didn't yield to a strap wrench. That's my preferred method.

HobieSport

I haven't tried the blow dryer method but I have had success with putting the handset in the freezer for a few minutes.  I haven't used a strap wrench but that seems a good way too.

foots

Quote from: McHeath on May 17, 2009, 02:23:53 AM
One day I tired using a jar opener gizmo that we got at the Supermarket.  It's got various sized holes with some sort of rubbery stuff, and you can get quite the leverage.  It popped the plastic caps off a G1 bakelite in no time.  I was worried they would break, but no problems happened, though you might not want to do this for a prize phone. 

They're all prize phones to me. I had actually thought of using a strap wrench but the hair dryer worked beautifully. Unfortunately once cleaned and cooled, the cap doesn't want to screw down all of the way.

Dennis Markham

Those plastic caps just do not like Bakelite.  (Assuming it's plastic).  They're all tough like that.  Clean the threads of each part real good---that helps.

HobieSport

Quote from: Dennis Markham
Those plastic caps just do not like Bakelite.  (Assuming it's plastic).  They're all tough like that.  Clean the threads of each part real good---that helps.

I've never tried it but I'm wondering about giving the threads a shot of graphite lubricating dust, or even a drop or two of diluted dish soap?  Just an untested thought, mind you.

foots

I 409'd the crap out of the threads on my handset and both caps entirely after cleaning the caps in a warm water/soap mix. I even lightly lubed the threads with some cooking oil and a Q-tip which didn't help. If I warm the cap with the hair dryer, it goes right back on. With a little warming again, it comes right back off. Dennis, you're right, bakelite really doesn't like plastic.

Dan/Panther

I posted a photo sometime back of a 3 section jar lid opener I bought at the 99 cent store.
Only one cap I was not able to get off using it, and even that one came off after I applied two way tape around the receiver cap.
Here is a photo of the item, with the offending receiver cap with two way tape atteched.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

I actually found something that works even better than the jar lid opener.
It a common vacuum cleaner belt. Much more grip than the jar lid opener.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

I think the strap-wrench or these rubber type grippers work great.  With the plastic/Bakelite I like warming the part with the dryer because it seems to soften up whatever is making it stick.  I have broken a G3 (plastic) handset in the past by just using brute force.  It came off, but so did half the threads from the handset.

As I posted before, the strap-wrench really was the answer on an E1 handset that was giving me problems.  Worked like a charm---but that was Bakelite and metal.