News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

One of a Kind Signs?

Started by Sargeguy, December 11, 2014, 06:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

QuoteIf anyone has what they believe to be a one of a kind or VERY rare sign PLEASE let me know.
Please send picture if possible. I have tried, at various times since the late 1960's, to research
many signs rumored to exist and reached many a dead end. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
-Signguy

Do you have any signs that you think  might be one-of-a-kind???  We'd like to see it!  Post the picture and description here and we can see if we can sort it out!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

New England Telephone & Telegraph "Lollipop"

New England Telephone was the most prolific of all the Bell System operating companies when it comes to signs, but this is the only example of a NET&T lollipop sign I know of.  In general, lollipop signs are pretty rare.  They are 24" in diameter and were mounted on a stand.  This really crappy sign was pulled out of a river in Fitchburg, MA
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

"Universal Service" Booth Sign

The term "Universal Service" was coined by Theodore Vail and used by the Bell System around 1910 to promote the Bell System as a government sanctioned monopoly.  I have seen a number of 16" flanged signs but never a booth version.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Signguy

Greg....
Some of the companies (so called) that I have researched over the years because
someone has indicated they had a sign are.....

Perry New York
Coos County NH
Trenton NJ
Winterhaven (only one I found was an old Tel co in Texas, not Florida)
Christian Todd Tel&Tel
Read Tel Co
Sunset Telephone (Found paperwork with the logo but no sign) Has been reported to exist.
Bell Tel of Philadelphia (Saw paperwork but no sign)
Etc,Etc

If anyone has a question about a particular sign please let me know. Maybe I might have some info from my searches. AND, most of all, if anyone has any concrete information about any of these companies or other unknown signs PLEASE let me know. Pictures would be greeeaaat!

Cheers.... Ell

Sargeguy

I am looking for a Providence Telephone Company sign, but I don't know if they actually exist.  I have only seen the logo on postcards:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Signguy

Never heard of a Providence sign. 

Signguy

Greg..
I think you show a good point with the Providence post card.

I have found a lot of stationary with logos on them which some may think
indicates there was a sign of the same design. I think when early companies
were incorporated it was easy to add a logo which gave them an identity which
made them "stand out from the crowd". Especially if it inferred they were associated
with a well known entity such as the Bell System.

Cheers.... Ell

Sargeguy

I don't think they exist either.  Number two on the list is Southern Mass, which there are at least two types, and Westerly Automatic Telephone Company which was the first Strowger exchange in the country and was later incorporated into the Bell System.  There probably aren't any signs from them either.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Quote from: Signguy on December 11, 2014, 09:46:56 PM
Greg..
I think you show a good point with the Providence post card.

I have found a lot of stationary with logos on them which some may think
indicates there was a sign of the same design. I think when early companies
were incorporated it was easy to add a logo which gave them an identity which
made them "stand out from the crowd". Especially if it inferred they were associated
with a well known entity such as the Bell System.

Cheers.... Ell

It was probably a lot cheaper for these companies to use generic Bell System signs, or in the case of Providence, N.E.T.&T signs than have their own made.    They did have their own manhole covers though, which date from c. 1890-1900;

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409