News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I want to use my rotary phone, cable company says "NO"

Started by MissCora, December 21, 2019, 11:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissCora

I want to switch my phone service provider from Century Link to my cable provider. No problems using my rotary phone with them. But when I mentioned the phone to the cable people, they said they are strictly digital so either I stick with Cen.Link or no longer use my rotary. I understand.

However, my aunt also has a rotary phone she likes and she has phone service with the same cable company and her phone functions fine. I called the company this morning, they say that is not possible. They told me unless it is a "retro" phone, it shouldn't be working.

Question: How do I know if my vintage phone is wired to accept digital? I ask because I purchased it online five years ago and I can't remember if the seller re-wired the phone for modern usage or not. Of course I no longer have his info. I had an electrician install it for me, I believe he "hard wired it". What components inside a phone are required in order for it to accept a digital phone line?  Should I contact my electrician? The cable company informed me they do not work (or inspect) any equipment but their own. 

I visited this site five years ago posting a picture of the phone. I wish I could find that post!  Thank you for your time and any info or sympathy you can share.

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

MissCora

Thanks Dan.

Well, I got to thinking about it so called the guy who installed the phone for me in 2014. He said as far as he remembers, it didn't have the right components to use with digital. "As far as he knows". He left me a message that I could buy a converter box for $75. So I guess I'll call him back and if he comes with the box and finds that there's already one rigged up it would be great. ha  Does the converter box go inside the phone? or on the wall?

Thanks again. I was glad my ID and password still worked on this site it's a real good forum.

dsk

They are right, and they are wrong  :o
The modern adapters will sometimes have problems with the power needed on an old ringer. Usually it works.  Rotary dials are another problem, many providers deliver a phone adapter programmed for touch tone, but not for rotary dial.  Then you need to put something between you phone and the adapter (or in your phone if you are skilled enough (not extremely difficult  ;)   )
That something may be a lot of different products, a pulse tone converter like Dialgizmo, or a PABX like Pansaonic KX-T 308.....
I have 2 lines from companies who let you buy the adapter you want, but then you have to setup the adapter.  I use Zadarma and Callcentric.  Both are good, but I had to add Zadarma since Callcentric could not port my Norwegian number.
dsk

countryman

Cora, I looked up all your posts and it seems you did not actually post the pictures here but inserted links to photobucket. Unfortunately, those image service providers donot keep the links alive very long. That's why it makes sense to upload any pictures directly to this site.
Whoever provides your "all digital" Voice-over-IP (VOIP) service, and whatever device he supplies, you will be able to use your standard analog rotary phones. A number of routers are available that still understand the pulse dialing of rotary phones, even if this is not a guaranteed or advertised feature. In so far Dan's advice is very good: Just try.
If it doesn't work ask here about internet routers available in North America that are known to support pulse dialing. These can be installed as an interface between your provider's terminal and the phones. Same thing can be done with a PABX like suggested by dsk. A dialgizmo would be the very last resort for me, as they often cost more than a good refurbished router that is pulse dial capable.

MissCora

You are right about the photo files. I'll try to upload direct from my files.

dsk

I have no clue about this North 8H8 phone, if someone could help with a wiring diagram,that could help.
My guess will be that with a dialgizmo plugged in to the adapter, this phone will work.  I have an idea of that the wiring for this is pretty close to W.E 302, and that works great.

dsk

MissCora

Thank you dsk.

The guy is going to go buy the converter. I still am unclear. Does it go into the phone or on the wall?  I'm actually a little torn as to whether I should mess with the phone, but then anybody in the future who buys it will more than likely have a digital line too.

Key2871

Is it a pulse (rotary) to tone (touch tone) converter?
It seems to me with an ATA that would work.
KEN

dsk

Here is the homepage of Dialgizo, I use one plugged in to the adapter, and the phones are plugged into that again. Only one needed for all phones on the line.  https://www.dialgizmo.com/

To not stress the electronics to much, I do not use more than 2 ringers on the line. (if you want more than 2 phones on the line, disconnect the ringers of the rest of the phones)

dsk