News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Various foreign brass phones

Started by TelePlay, July 19, 2014, 03:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Recently added to "Hideous Phones" by Brinybay, the post took on a life of its own so all discussion of the ugly barrel phone was split off and moved to here. This was Brinybay's original comment, one picture of the commented phone is below and above the post I put up.

Quote from: Brinybay on July 19, 2014, 02:54:00 AM
Ugh!

Is this what's hiding inside the barrel?

seems more attractive without the barrel, in my humble opinion.

xzzx-brass junk phones-xzzx

TelePlay

This series could be called "Variations on a Theme" with this one being quite less elegant than the pedestal version. The "barrel" is the most "hideous" of these, the pedestal is not. This one? Borderline, in my humble opinion, of course.

With all of these, seems there design is on the opposite end of the spectrum from a 554, space-wise. Or, in another word, why?

Babybearjs

who made these? this one is no more then a telephone table with the telephone built in.... were these made for western electric, or by western electric? or were these found outside the US??
John

paul-f

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 22, 2014, 11:33:37 PM
who made these? this one is no more then a telephone table with the telephone built in.... were these made for western electric, or by western electric? or were these found outside the US??

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5728.msg69238#msg69238
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

rdelius

Western Electric hac nothing to do with these sets.WE parts are hard to fit in them.They are crap.They are crudely fitted togather with bad hookswitches.The castings are most likely from Korea or India or possibly Taiwan .Guts were sometimes used parts from Japanese #4 sets.These sets are bad news to repair.Good news they are uasually solid brass

TelePlay

This just came up on eBay starting at $165.00 plus $35 shipping in a 3 day auction.

To the best of my recollection, this is the first touch tone I've seen in any of these styles; table, tall pole, short pole, barrel, desk set or elephant. And this one has a very strange, not the usual, picture in the number card holder, a building of sorts.

TelePlay

Quote from: rdelius on July 23, 2014, 07:47:37 PM
Western Electric had nothing to do with these sets.WE parts are hard to fit in them.They are crap.They are crudely fitted together with bad hook-switches.The castings are most likely from Korea or India or possibly Taiwan. Guts were sometimes used parts from Japanese #4 sets.These sets are bad news to repair. Good news they are usually solid brass

Is it fair to say this is a similarly manufactured phone? That is, with a similar hook switch, handset and dial on just a different platform? This one was made in Japan, can't tell if it's a #4 from the bottom label which has a model number of something like DO-8 and while it looks more like a phone, is it internally similar to the barrel/table/post phones posted above?

The bottom white phone was listed as a JN-4 so were these the sacrificial phone used to make the brass variations? The bottom of the JN-4 base is not much different from the brass similar looking "remakes."

( both links above are dead )

rdelius

Those earlier Japanese copies of Danish sets are uasually good quality.Sometimes the empty housings were sold to customers who had the telephone company put standard US guts in them and charge a monthy rental fee also.The later Korean and simalar sets were not as good

LarryInMichigan

I bought one of those Japanese imitation Danish phones a few months ago for parts.  The quality is quite good.  The transmitter element is the same type as used in the #4 Japanese phone, so I used it to replace the noisy one in my #4.  The dial is also the same as in the #4. 

Larry

Scotophor

Quote from: TelePlay on July 23, 2014, 10:23:23 PM...this one has a very strange, not the usual, picture in the number card holder, a building of sorts.
That's the famous Neuschwanstein castle, built for "mad" king Ludwig II of Bavaria. This palace was the inspiration for the Sleeping Beauty castle at Disneyland (and re-copied at subsequent Disney theme park/resorts).
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

TelePlay

This listed now on eBay seems to be a bit more ornate than the others I've seen on eBay.

Antique EVERTONE Telephone Table Brass Marble Top Rotary Dial Ornate Design

Seller is starting it at $99 plus $37 shipping. This one also shows the ringer mounted to the bottom of the marble table top, with identifying tag for posterity.

TelePlay

Another example of "unrealistic" pricing? And, it's missing the transmitter horn.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-VINTGE-BRONZE-PHONE-/181509120516

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: TelePlay on August 28, 2014, 07:48:23 AM
Another example of "unrealistic" pricing? And, it's missing the transmitter horn.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-VINTGE-BRONZE-PHONE-/181509120516

I think that "unrealistic" is an unrealistic description for the price.  "Surreal" or "insane" might be better :)  I wish that someone would gather all of those hideous things and melt them down so that brass could be put to some decent use.

Larry

Matilo Telephones

To my great surprise there are lots of people who adore them.

Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on August 28, 2014, 03:29:14 PM
To my great surprise there are lots of people who adore them.

There is one for sale on the local craigslist site (link) at this moment.  This one is a bargain at only $200 ;)

Larry