News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1962 WE black wall phone w/handset cap removable problem

Started by Dewdrop, January 16, 2010, 12:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

When I used the freezer method I only left the handset in the freezer for about 15 minutes, so it wasn't too cold or brittle, and then the only torque that I put on it was by hand.  I would also be very wary about getting the parts too cold and very careful about alternating cold and heat. Also, I think I was working on an F1 handset, so it was bakelite to bakelite, and not bakelite to plastic.  Also I simply didn't have a blow dryer available at the time, so I just tried the cooling method first. :)
-Matt

Gary

Just found this thread but am having NO luck with the receiver cap of an E1 handset from a WE202.  Been trying all the heating techniques here.  One thing I'm sure of is I'm close to injury trying to remove this thing.  Breaking is slowly becoming an attractive option.

LarryInMichigan

Gary,

You just don't get along very well with handset caps, do you ;)  Unscrewing the various components of E1 handsets can be a real pain, as I have learned.  I have tried spraying electrical contact cleaner into the threads to try to dissolve the stuff holding the parts together, tapping the stuck parts to try to loosen them, and heating the parts with a hair dryer.  Eventually, I have managed to remove most of the parts with strap wrenches.  Have fun :)

Larry

Gary

You are so right Larry, two in one week!!  :(
I'll keep at it, tried tapping but I'm afraid of the already existing three radial hairline cracks in the cap.  It's actually not in the greatest cosmetic shape.  The bakelite is fairly rough and pitted to begin with.

Dennis Markham

Gary, I'll second what Larry wrote.  A strap wrench is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to getting the E1 caps off.  After struggling for a long time with one, (and wanting to just break it off like you) I went to Ace Hardware and bought a nice strap wrench for about $15.  Thirty seconds after I got the wrench home the cap was off....and unbroken.

Gary

Good idea Dennis, thanks.  I think there's one at work I can borrow.  I'll take a look tomorrow and give it a try.