"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Goodwill Trimline

Started by Kenny C, October 04, 2010, 04:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

The line powered ones use tip and ring.
The transformer powered ones need at least 4 wires. 2 for the phone line and 2 for power.

The basic instructions are the same. About the only thing they did with trimlines were sometimes add a "kit" of parts. They had different "kits".
When a trimline handset died it was swapped out and the bad handset went back to the shops for repair/recycling.

Because of this many of the board and network configurations were never documented in the BSP's .  There are lots of variations in the boards and networks.

The handsets will interchange with the bases. There are auctually a lot of different bases
Over the years there are also changes in the wall base and plastic of the bases (thickness).

Rotary backs and TT backs are slightly different (TT is slimmer).

More than you wanted to know about trimlines,
Jim

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

bingster

Line powered would have the normal number of conductors.  Transformer powered would have extra conductors for the transformer (so five or six conductors).

You don't need a 2012 transformer, though.  Just use any 6-8 volt wall A/C adapter.  I use an old adapter from a set of computer speakers.
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

i have a 5.2 will that run it?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

stub

Kenny,
           Nice phone find and a good price.
          I'm still looking for that box of Trimlines to get to you. Maybe I'll have time to look tomorrow, if I can move all the other junk. Remember these came from a refurbisher's( butcher) shop.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

bingster

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 04, 2010, 11:39:18 PM
i have a 5.2 will that run it?

It probably will.  If the dial light is too dim, you know you'll need more voltage. But give it a shot and see what happens.
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

some one clipped the white wire so i am re spading it
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 04, 2010, 05:28:20 PM

i havn't even polished it yet. Any way to clean the fingerwheel?

There is a little C clamp washer under the Bell logo center. However, there is a big risk in removing it, since they are very fragile and break easily. Once you remove the C clamp the internal spring will unwind and the finger stop will come out. It is not that difficult to reassemble it, but it takes patience and time to put it back together. Something similar happens when you remove then center screw of a 9C dial.
Jorge

stub

Kenny,
          Lookehere what I fount!! Farm fresh!!The phones are free but I'm gonna charge for killing spiders!!! Let me know if you want them. What you see is what you get.
           Better look close , there may be  SURVIVORS!!!!!!!!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

stub

Kenny,
            I will drop them off at Pop's work tomorrow.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Kenny C

ok looking foward to them.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Kenny, I would have been disappointed had you passed on them.

Kenny C

these are my winter projects
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

stub

Dennis,
             Kenny has the phone fever too bad to pass on anything that looks like a phone.  I think we can reel him in now, he's hooked!!!!!!!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dennis Markham

Yes he is....hooked!  Hopefully in 10 years we can all check back in here and see if he still has his enthusiasm for these old telephones.  The torch is passed..........