News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A surprise find on ETSY!!!!

Started by Jester, October 20, 2010, 12:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

Do you remember that feeling when you walk into that flea market, antique store, or browse that odd internet site & discover something you weren't looking for, but the price & condition were too good to let go by?  This is how I felt about the prize pictured below!  I first heard about ETSY on Dennis' website last year and decided then to check it out.  Oddly enough, most of my buys from here have been pink: a TT trimline keychain; a 500 keychain, and now this 1702B.  It has been awhile since I last checked this site, but recently decided it would be worth the effort.  This phone had been listed within the week, & total cost was under $50.00-- shipping included!  The following pictures are after cleanup, but it wasn't that bad to begin with.  It is a telco refurb. but, does that really matter when something is this rare?
Stephen

Phonesrfun

Oooo, la, la.

That's a nice one!  I am pink with envy!

-Bill G

KeithB

I love how in 1968, they blocked off the areas for the '#' and '*' buttons on the touch-tone pad.

ESalter

Great Find!  And not faded either, that's a really sharp looking phone.

Doug Rose

Stephen.....great phone! Do you want to share your link to ETSY???....Doug
Kidphone

baldopeacock

didn't know about that site, but I do now - found it.

Dennis Markham

jsowers

Quote from: KeithB on October 20, 2010, 07:40:51 AM
I love how in 1968, they blocked off the areas for the '#' and '*' buttons on the touch-tone pad.

That may have happened in December, 1971 instead of 1968. Note the vermilion stamps that say R1271 (at least I think that's what they say). That's likely when the entire phone was refurbished.

It's still a gorgeous phone at a great price and Stephen you should be proud of your find. My boss sells jewelry she makes on ETSY and I should have been looking on there long ago. And I do know that feeling you mentioned about finding something you weren't looking for, but you can't pass up. Back when I was going to thrifts regularly, I should have passed up a whole lot of stuff! Today I drove right by the Goodwill at lunchtime and didn't even think about stopping.
Jonathan

paul-f

Quote from: KeithB on October 20, 2010, 07:40:51 AM

Dials were made that way for a while, in order to be upgradeable from 10-button to 12-button.  It's covered in the 25-series dial BSPs.  See a photo with the tape removed here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/we25up.htm

I have found several sets with the * and # keys obviously color faded differently than the other keys -- suggesting they were installed at a different time.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

McHeath

Never thought to look on ETSY for phones, that will go on my regular prowling list now.  This was a great deal and I would have snapped it up as well.

Kenny C

is 30.00 for an ericophone high ?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

No, especially if it isn't beige. Make sure it has original cords
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bellsystemproperty

$30 would be a good deal. They aren't a comfortable phone to talk on though, and it is easy to sit the phone down if you are talking to someone and have to get something, but if you sit it down it hangs up so you have to remember to sit it down sideways. The other problem is that the receiver is not very loud and it is not easy to open the case and replace it like in a G handset.
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

Just4Phones

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 21, 2010, 01:14:18 AM

Kenny, if you are referring to the one on ETSY now (I am not an expert) but I wouldn't recommend it. It is missing the cords and opening up an Ericophone is dangerous (the quality is not nearly Western Electric and you may risk damage to the innards) unless you are Richard Rose of course ;)

Joel

Kenny C

Quote from: Just4Phones on October 21, 2010, 02:11:07 PM
Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 21, 2010, 01:14:18 AM

Kenny, if you are referring to the one on ETSY now (I am not an expert) but I wouldn't recommend it. It is missing the cords and opening up an Ericophone is dangerous (the quality is not nearly Western Electric and you may risk damage to the innards) unless you are Richard Rose of course ;)

Joel

Yes I was
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010