News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cheap Imperial

Started by oldguy, April 22, 2019, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

I picked up this Imperial on shopgoodwill.com. I paid $11.95 + $9.97 shipping +$2.00 handling = $23.72. In the pictures it looked like it had an ivory thermoplastic handset, a good open center finger wheel & a good leather bottom. When I got it, it did indeed have a thermoplastic handset & the rest. The body is a little rough & it has a vinyl handset cord.  I have a nice ivory WE 354 with a G handset & another Imperial with a brass colored finger wheel. So just for parts I think it was a good deal. I'm not sure what I will do with it yet but I'm happy with the find.
Gary

RB

very good price, congrats

Key2871

That's a great find, congrats on your deal. I guess I have to start looking at that site..
KEN

Pourme

~

Plastic cord, not withstanding, you know me, I love Imperials. You got a good deal on a nice piece. I love it when diligence pays off!

Congrats!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Babybearjs

I won one a few years back for about the same price. added the su
bset, and it is now ready to get put to use!
John

tubaman

Very nice phone at at equally nice price! (= I am jealous).
:)

oldguy

thanks guys. i plugged it into my 1045A & everything seems to work accept ringer of coarse?? I never thought of just plugging one in to see if it worked. this is how it's wired. no resistors no capacitors. Is this normal??
Gary

jsowers

It will work directly connected to the phone line, but you have no equalization and the clicks and pops are loud on the ears since there is no network. It is said this is hard on the receiver capsule as well and it's not how the phone was designed to work. It was designed to work with a subset that has a network and a ringer and that mounts to the baseboard or desk and hooks to the phone line.

You may not have the problems people in 1955 had with long phone lines from the CO and such that required a decent network in the phone, so it may work for you without the subset. But originally they did have a subset attached.
Jonathan

19and41

Nice find!  Better to have one than to want one.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

oldguy

Thanks Jonathan. If I keep it in one piece, I'm going to use a subset. I just had never hooked one up directly. Since it had a modular cord coming out the back, I plugged it into my 1045A & it appeared to work. It was a surprise to me that it would work without a network or subset. Now I know😀😀
Gary