News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cant seem to open ATC Candlestick

Started by markosjal, May 06, 2017, 01:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I have an ATC Candlestick 3-73 that I purchased as NOS.

It is in excellent cshape except I need to replace the line cord

I loosened 4 captive screws on bottom.

I see that something has it hung up and the base will not release .

I looked at the exploded view diagram in the ATC library but unfortunately I do not see what would hang it up. Hookswich linkage looks much like ATC snoopy/Mickey so I do not think that is it .

Any help appreciated.
Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

markosjal

Ok I pushed in the middle of the dial and it came out. Apparently the dial fits so snugly in the "trim ring" that this was the only way it came out

I now have it dis-assembled and can not reassemble it.

As this is an ATC I will point out these are Western Electric components.

There is a ring that surrounds the dial. This ring is the color of the phone we will call it a "trim ring"

The dial fits so tightly into the trim ring, and using all the care in the world I have now broken a tab off this trim ring.

I have taken the fingerwheel off the dial to make it easier (I broke a tab there too on the dial insert ring in doing so) and it is still too tight to assemble.

Does the trim ring go on first or after the base is together? I am really stuck here guys and need some help. I never disassembled an ATC candlestick and did this only to replace the cord. BIG MISTAKE.

markosjal

Ok,

First an image before disassembly

Second the trim ring itself

Third is the phone assembled without the trim ring in place.

If I put the trim ring on before putting the base with dial back into housing it is far too tight to get the dial in.

If I try to put the trim ring on after the assembly of base to housing it is too tight.

I do see that the trim ring is "keyed" by a notch for the fingerstop.

Ktownphoneco

Mark   ...    I can scan the 18 pages in my Bell Canada Station Installation & Repair manual (1981) that deal with the Western / Northern Decorator Candlestick.      The Section explains how to remove and install the dial, but I won't be able to do that until tomorrow.    Let me know if you want me to do that, and I'll get at it in the morning.

Jeff Lamb

Ktownphoneco

Second option :    TCI Library.     This link will take you to the Bell System Practice 503-200-109 which deals with the Western Decorator Candlestick.   Link :

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/doc_details/2352-503-200-109-881a-881b-series-candlestick-telephones    Just download it to your computer.

Jeff

markosjal

I think the short answer is that the tabs bent over the years causing a problem for later reassembly .