News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 21 and Northern Electric subset almost there!

Started by tig1, December 11, 2015, 10:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: tig1 on December 13, 2015, 08:08:07 PM
Ya, i didn't use the markings on the coils at all. I just ohmed it out so i knew how the coils were wired and wired the circuit accordingly. I can definitely see the confusion though.

Hmm,
I am sorry, but I do feel like raising more concerns and objections, but really don't feel like going into details.
I seriously doubt the notion, though, that one can ''ohm it out'' to establish correct wiring in this case when you are trying to install a local battery AST induction coil for common battery service.  These circuits, especially when using the 101A vs. 104A are VERY different.

It's easy to push some audio through even completely mismatched coils, but that doesn't mean the phone is operating correctly.

For future readers, I would recommend not to try to follow any of the examples in this thread. to completely understand the differences of these coils and the circuits they are used in.

G-Man

Perhaps part of the confusion regarding the windings of the type-104A induction coil, may stem from a misinterpretation of the symbol between terminals "C" and "A".

Some may think that it is a coil winding, when in fact, it is a resistor.

tig1

The resistor was left out of the circuit as per the schematic i posted. When i say ohmed it out i mean just so i knew where the start and end of each winding in the coil was. I didn't pay attention to what the actual resistance was. I was trying to wire in that coil to match the one in the other thread. I did, and it works. I've talked on it and no one has noticed any difference. I don't know what else to say.

G-Man

First of all, the schematic you presented is for a Western Electric 634 subset with morphed-in magneto and switch from your N500CG subset. The windings for a 101A and 104A do not correspond with each other, either mechanically or electrically, so no, you did not wire them the same.

You may have been able to use the windings from the motor of a table fan and gain the same results and it might have worked well for you, but others on different type of lines may experience severe problems. Since we don't know how you wired or the value of the capacitor, it is unknown if d.c. is adequately blocked from your receiver to prevent long term damage to the element. Some shady dealers wire everything in series or use a simple resistor/capacitor combination and are satisfied with that, but I have to take exception to presenting your hack as a solution for others novices.

Please understand that this is not about either of us, but about the other novices that may end up being confused and discouraged when they come across this thread in the future.

Again, if it is working well for you then "all's well that ends well."

tig1

G-Man

Quote from: tig1 on December 13, 2015, 11:08:19 PM
Ok, sorry if i upset anyone.  :(  Take care.

No one is upset; instead, while you may have ended up going down the wrong track, you are to be congratulated for being innovative. We merely want to provide proper guidance to other novice collectors who are also trying to get their telephone equipment operational.

This forum exists to assist others with restoring their telephone equipment. All of us learn from each other and our past mistakes so please continue to engage us in discussions regarding your telephony projects.

tig1

Thank you sir. :)  I think i will. I'm used to just diving into something and trying to handle it on my own. Next time i'll try a more step by step approach and better document it.