News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Strange Western Electric B1 102

Started by Doug Rose, February 22, 2010, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Here is a strange Western Electric B1 102 i picked up at a flea market recently. Its a manual set that looks like it might have been antiqued? Looks better than the pictures show, its gray and silver. The more you look at it, the more it grows on you. It is bizarre. Definitely after market....Doug
Kidphone

bingster

It looks like it belongs on a piece of that "antiqued" furniture Briny was talking about in another thread.  She wants to be black... I can feel it. :D
= DARRIN =

Wallphone

That's what they look like after I shine em up.
I think that I need a softer wire wheel.
"Please Wait for Dial Tone". And then what? Start clicking the plunger?
I have used "Citristrip" Stripping Gel from Lowes to get paint splatters off of Western Electric phones and it works great without affecting the original paint.
It might be worth a try.
Dougpav

finlover

Quote from: Wallphone on February 22, 2010, 06:47:59 PM
That's what they look like after I shine em up.
I think that I need a softer wire wheel.
"Please Wait for Dial Tone". And then what? Start clicking the plunger?
I have used "Citristrip" Stripping Gel from Lowes to get paint splatters off of Western Electric phones and it works great without affecting the original paint.
It might be worth a try.
Dougpav
That looks like a stone sculpture of a 102!  It's really a pretty nice job--very uniform. 

Doug Rose

That's what I've been trying to figure out! It does look like a marble sculpture. I does look better in person, although I can understand Dougpav's observation, the pictures do look like the wire brush on a drill gone wild...Doug
Kidphone

Craig T

Doug you have great luck with phones, it is probably factory red underneath  :o  ;)

JorgeAmely

Doug:

I think you should send it to finlover. In a few days, he will polish away that gray color to reveal a pristine Pekin Red color underneath.

;D ;D ;D
Jorge

finlover

Quote from: JorgeAmely on February 22, 2010, 08:41:16 PM
Doug:

I think you should send it to finlover. In a few days, he will polish away that gray color to reveal a pristine Pekin Red color underneath.

;D ;D ;D
Actually, it's the time machine that does all the work, I just push the button. ;D

Jim Stettler

I always caution folks about removing non-standard paint, unless they can determine that it isn't a factory special order (I don't think this one is).
I would probably leave this as is. It is easy enough to find black phones, Interesting custom paint is sometimes worthwhile.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Steve

[/quote]
Actually, it's the time machine that does all the work, I just push the button. ;D
[/quote]

I almost bought one of those myself, but I found out my insurance has a Morlocks  clause...
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jim S. on February 22, 2010, 09:03:43 PM
I always caution folks about removing non-standard paint, unless they can determine that it isn't a factory special order (I don't think this one is).
I would probably leave this as is. It is easy enough to find black phones, Interesting custom paint is sometimes worthwhile.
JMO,
Jim
Hey Jim....I agree, I'm not going to touch it. When it first got it home, I decided to strip it. My wife asked me if I was really going to strip it, "it's really different looking." It is different looking and the more I see it, the cooler it gets. For now, it will stay as it is....thanks to all who responded....Doug
Kidphone