News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Who Is Bob?

Started by rp2813, March 10, 2012, 01:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

I have a 9/53 500 with Bob's name written in pencil on the bottom.  I've also recently seen a couple of phones on eBay with his name on them too, but the handwriting isn't the same.

I think BOB is an acronym for something.  Either that or Bob played a different kind of phone tag, and he really got around back in the 50's.
Ralph

twocvbloke

Maybe he built the phones, cos he's Bob the Builder... :D

Doug Rose

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 10, 2012, 02:11:35 AM
Maybe he built the phones, cos he's Bob the Builder... :D
BOB was always an acronym for Bad out of the Box when I was a tech on the road, many moons ago....Doug
Kidphone

sebbel

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 10, 2012, 08:10:16 AM
BOB was always an acronym for Bad out of the Box when I was a tech on the road, many moons ago....Doug

WOW! The the best explanation  anyone has ever given me about Microsoft BOB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Bob
Seb.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 10, 2012, 08:10:16 AM

Here our comparable acronym was always NFG, even after they told us to stop writing that on equipment boxes.

Terry

rp2813

LOL -- as in LOL! 

Terry, NFG I could have figured out!

Doug, thanks for the BOB explanation.  I wonder why they didn't erase the notation once the phone was fixed and re-deployed.
Ralph

AE_Collector

Quote from: rp2813 on March 10, 2012, 02:32:48 PM
I wonder why they didn't erase the notation once the phone was fixed and re-deployed.

I'm betting that it wasn't fixed and re-deployed. The installer probably inadvertently left it behind after replacement which is how it slipped out of Bell's hands and into the outside world to live on for another day.

Terry

rp2813

So now that we seem to have explained Bob, would anyone care to explain the 500 currently listed on eBay (also from 1953) that has "Charlie" written on the bottom?
Ralph

twocvbloke

Maybe it contains some white powdery stuff that it often known as Charlie? ???

rp2813

Hmmmm.  A stash box for the overworked secretarial pool.
Ralph

Dan/Panther

Quote from: rp2813 on March 12, 2012, 02:28:43 AM
So now that we seem to have explained Bob, would anyone care to explain the 500 currently listed on eBay (also from 1953) that has "Charlie" written on the bottom?

Can't Hear A Ring Lousy Initial Engineering.
I thought that was common knowledge ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Shovelhead

AE_Collector

Yeah.......that's it........you got it.......

Terry

bingster

Wouldn't "Bad Out Of Box" be BOOB? ;)
= DARRIN =