"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is AddBlock Plus Broken or Down?

Started by WesternElectricBen, January 08, 2014, 06:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi Guys,

I have been noticing adds appearing on my web searches, and I'm not sure if Addblock is broken or what? If you see what I circled, I have never seen them before I have noticed those adds also on eBay pictures, so I'm not sure where they came from.

I even reinstated Addblock, and I am not sure why it is not working.

EDIT: I even noticed an ad under the picture on this Forum!

Ben

wds

I listed an item for sale on Ebay last week, and ads kept appearing on my listing.  I called Ebay and they said those were Ebay ads, and they couldn't be deleted from my listing.  Those ads only appeared on one listing.
Dave

WesternElectricBen

That is interesting WDS,

I mean, I noticed they are coming up every website with pictures. Or more specifically every website where the "Public" can upload pics, like the three sights I was talking about. Though, that could be completely irreverent..

Ben

HarrySmith

Maybe something in your computer(s). I am not seeing any ads under pictures here or on my eBay.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

As per the recent discussion on ads & adblockplus, install and run Malwarebytes on you computer, do a scan and see what comes up incase there's anything on your system... :)

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 08, 2014, 07:17:53 PM
As per the recent discussion on ads & adblockplus, install and run Malwarebytes on you computer, do a scan and see what comes up incase there's anything on your system... :)

I hope not, but I will do that.

(I am now running a complete scan with Microsoft Sec. Ess. and Malwarebytes.)

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Okay, twocvbloke,

I used Microsoft Sec. Ess., and it did not sensor anything, but Malwarebytes has found 29 items. I removed them all, and it it seems that all the adds are gone, so I thank you!

Okay, now you guys can disregard this topic, as I'm a bit foolish.

Ben

Bill

Ben -

I have Adblock Plus. Just for the fun of it, I went to the top of this page, and observed that there were no ads. The big area of white space at the top of the page was empty. Then I turned off Adblock Plus using its dropdown menu, and reloaded the page. BANG - there are ads in the white space. Then I re-enabled Adblock Plus, reloaded the page again, and no ads. Adblock is working.

This is an easy check to make, and will tell you if Adblock Plus is functioning.

Bill

twocvbloke

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 08, 2014, 10:15:26 PM
Okay, twocvbloke,

I used Microsoft Sec. Ess., and it did not sensor anything, but Malwarebytes has found 29 items. I removed them all, and it it seems that all the adds are gone, so I thank you!

Just be careful about what sites you visit or what addons you install (that includes ones that are "bundled" with free software), just incase they stuff unwanted browser hijackers and adware on your computer... :)

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 09, 2014, 12:40:37 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on January 08, 2014, 10:15:26 PM
Okay, twocvbloke,

Just be careful about what sites you visit or what addons you install (that includes ones that are "bundled" with free software), just incase they stuff unwanted browser hijackers and adware on your computer... :)

You are right, twocv.., when I got my new PC, I forgot to select only the things I want, several times I had forgotten, and it changed my browser main pg etc. Which seems to be what you are talking about.

Ben