"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 Rings Only When Casing is not Assembled on the Base

Started by gands-antiques, February 21, 2013, 10:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Hello,

I have three 302s and they are all wired the same. Two of them work perfectly and the one pictured will dial out, ring and receive calls when the casing is off but when I install the casing on the base the phone will not ring.

The picture with the bells in it looks like the bells are too close to the clanger but I have moved them all around and the phone rings very strong when the casing is not installed on the base.

I rotated the bells away from the inside of the casing side just in case they were contacting it but it didn't fix the problem.  

I can't see anything that would contact anything when the casing is installed but as soon as I place the casing on the base the ringing stops.

Does anyone know what is causing the phone to to stop ringing when the casing is assembled on the base.

Thanks,
Gary

Phonesrfun

First of all, the bias spring on the ringer should be set to the middle position, and not all the way over to the right.

One thing that could be interfering with the ringing might be the dust cover on the #6 dial, but I think there should be enough clearance. 

I am surprised it works at all with the bias spring set so tight.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

The red line cord connecting to L1 is almost touching the yellow condenser wire connected to L2.  You should move those so they don't eventually touch each other.
-Bill G

gands-antiques

I moved the wires.  Pls see picture
Thanks,
Gary

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 21, 2013, 11:56:26 PM
The red line cord connecting to L1 is almost touching the yellow condenser wire connected to L2.  You should move those so they don't eventually touch each other.

gands-antiques

Quote from: gands-antiques on February 21, 2013, 10:41:24 PM
Hello,

I posted the wrong pictures at first...I'm trying to delete them and post the right ones. They should be 5381, 5382, 5383 and 5384

I have three 302s and they are all wired the same. Two of them work perfectly and the one pictured will dial out, ring and receive calls when the casing is off but when I install the casing on the base the phone will not ring.

The picture with the bells in it looks like the bells are too close to the clanger but I have moved them all around and the phone rings very strong when the casing is not installed on the base.

I rotated the bells away from the inside of the casing side just in case they were contacting it but it didn't fix the problem.  

I can't see anything that would contact anything when the casing is installed but as soon as I place the casing on the base the ringing stops.

Does anyone know what is causing the phone to to stop ringing when the casing is assembled on the base.

Thanks,
Gary

Phonesrfun

The red ringer wire looks like the insulation might be broken right at the spade tip connecting to L1.  You might check that for a break in the wire inside.

The problem has to be something like that.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Secure the wires going to your dial. When you close the phone the wires are touching the ringer. ...Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 22, 2013, 12:47:53 AM
The red ringer wire looks like the insulation might be broken right at the spade tip connecting to L1.  You might check that for a break in the wire inside.

Also check for other wiring issues that could cause the ringer circuit to go open when the housing is replaced.  Look for worn insulation on the wires that could cause a short if pushed against metal -- especially wires to the ringer and capacitor.  When the housing is open, wiggle the wires gently to see if the ringing stops.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

gands-antiques

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions...

I checked every spade and wire many many times including isolating the dial and network with tape and it still wouldn't ring with the case on.  For some reason it started working correctly this evening.  I don't know what fixed it. I would feel a lot better if I knew what fixed it.  

Anyway, I've tested it many times tonight and it rings perfectly every time now.

Maybe the gremlins jumped all over it.

One other question....Are the Riobi buffers you all use with thermoplastic polishing the orbital type or the rotating type? and what size?

Besides working on old phones, I restore antique brass blade fans and I currently use a shop pedestal buffer / polisher and I'm looking for something I can use like a hand held drill motor or polisher so I can stop having the brass blades jerked out of my hands when the buffer catches an edge and damages or destroys the blades.

Thanks a lot,
Gary

===========================

Quote from: paul-f on February 22, 2013, 11:31:43 AM
Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 22, 2013, 12:47:53 AM
The red ringer wire looks like the insulation might be broken right at the spade tip connecting to L1.  You might check that for a break in the wire inside.

Also check for other wiring issues that could cause the ringer circuit to go open when the housing is replaced.  Look for worn insulation on the wires that could cause a short if pushed against metal -- especially wires to the ringer and capacitor.  When the housing is open, wiggle the wires gently to see if the ringing stops.

paul-f

Quote from: gands-antiques on February 22, 2013, 10:21:48 PM

I checked every spade and wire many many times including isolating the dial and network with tape and it still wouldn't ring with the case on.  For some reason it started working correctly this evening.  I don't know what fixed it. I would feel a lot better if I knew what fixed it.  

Anyway, I've tested it many times tonight and it rings perfectly every time now.

Congratulations, maybe!

Chances are there was an intermittant connection somewhere in the wiring.

If your manipulations just made a minor mechanical adjustment that now makes a good connection, a minor shock might restore the intermittant condition or cause the connection to fail completely.  If it does fail, it may be easier to find next time.

Good luck.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

gands-antiques

Thanks Paul, maybe!

I'll just hope whatever it was is fixed.

Gary

================

Quote from: paul-f on February 23, 2013, 12:32:34 AM
Quote from: gands-antiques on February 22, 2013, 10:21:48 PM

Congratulations, maybe!

Chances are there was an intermittant connection somewhere in the wiring.

If your manipulations just made a minor mechanical adjustment that now makes a good connection, a minor shock might restore the intermittant condition or cause the connection to fail completely.  If it does fail, it may be easier to find next time.

Good luck.

Bill

It is possible that the problem is in the hookswitch, something not yet mentioned. Gands, you said that when you put the case on it wouldn't ring. But would it dial, and talk/receive with the case on?

As for the buffer, I have an orbital unit that I am not real thrilled with. It is great on flat surfaces of gentle curves, as it was intened. But it seems that the fact that the pad moves back and forth as it goes around makes it less effective at getting into tight inside corners, such as the angle where the hang-up ears on a 302 meet the handhold area (sorry, I know there are better words for both). I would think that this wobble would make it even more likely to catch the edge of a fan blade. But I've never done a fan ...

Bill

gands-antiques

Thanks Bill.

When the case was installed on the 302 everything worked except for the ringers. Now, for some reason it is working just fine all of the time.  I think I dorked with all of the wires long enough that the phone got tired of me and started working on it's own.

I really do wish I knew what fixed it but I don't.

Thanks for the info on the buffers. I didn't think an orbital buffer would do very well but I wasn't sure. 

I think I'll start looking for a small rotary buffer.

Thanks again,
Gary

poplar1

I agree with Doug that the wires needed to be dressed. All of the wires need to go behind the metal tabs near the hookswitch and next to the induction coil.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

gands-antiques

Thanks a lot.

When you say "all of the wires need to be dressed" do you mean just to bend the lugs down while also making sure they don't contact any metal or adjacent terminal?

Thanks,
Gary