"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Please help me to get my "new" 202 W/E1 handset operational

Started by russco23513, March 02, 2013, 11:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russco23513

Hi Folks,
I'm brand new to this, and just got my first 202 w/E1 handset from craigslist for $20.00. I have a few questions please. I understand I need a subset to use the telephone, and would like to get one that originally would have been used with my 202. Am I correct that I probably need one that doesn't have the anti-sidetone circuitry? I don't know what year it is from but removed the receiver cover and there seems to be a month and year on the receiver (I'm not at home right now and I forget what the first number is, but it was from 1-12 and the second number was 37 so I assume that the receiver at least is from 1937.
The dial makes that wonderful loud clack sound, but I don't really hear it when I dial the number "1". All the other numbers from 2-O sound much more pronounced. Is this the way it should be? Should the dial be lubricated, and if so, how and with what? The dial does have the letters. Is the pulse rate on the dial fast enough to be used with todays system? Where or from whom would you recommend getting a subset from? It doesn't have to be all that perfect, but inexpensive (relatively) and contemporary to my telephone. I also might like to get the round cover that went over the dial nut that had the persons number in it. -Thankfully the cloth covering on the handset and from the telephone are in great shape so I don't think I'm going to have to jack around with any rewiring. -Any other suggestions y'all might have regarding my new acquision would be most appreciated.
Thanks, and God Bless!

poplar1

If used with an anti-sidetone subset, it is a 202. If used with a sidetone subset, it is a 102. The anti-sidetone subset requires a 4-conductor cord and the sidetone subset requires a 3-conductor (or 4- with the black lead not used).

The dial is probably set for 10 pulses per second. This is still the correct speed for current central offices.

For anti-sidetone you would need a 684A, 684BA, 634A, 634BA or 495BP subset. You can also use the base of a Western Electric 302 set; one of our members makes covers for these if you want it to look more like a 684BA.

For sidetone you could use a 534A, 584A or 295A.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.