News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

12 phones and have no idea what I am doing.. Take a look..

Started by Everwood, February 03, 2011, 09:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

GG,
       I plan to put it on a AE 80. Let me know when you get them and I will purchase one beige one, complete. Mary failed to mention the parts that were missing on some of them but did say as is . I hope no one else has tinkered with them and burned them out. :'(  Oh well, time will tell. good luck!
       Thanks !!    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

I haven't followed this thread real close. So is it assumed that a power supply is *required* for these speakerphone adapters, unlike an 880 speakerphone that only needs a power supply if it is used on a 24 volt phone system? (I think that is the scenario where a power supply is needed with an 880)

I am pretty sure that I had an AE 88 Power Supply many years ago and gave it away. As I recall it was a VERY simple power supply, possibly just an AC transformer but I have no idea what the voltage was. Also it was mounted (as GG suggests) in a standard AE housing although not a very commonly seen one. A small bakelite box that is a bakelite back plate and a seperate bakelite "box" type cover. Rectangular in shape looking somewhat like the metal AE subset box only much smaller. Maybe 3" x 5" (or 4" x 6") and 3" or 4" high.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Do you know where we might find AE  GSP - 490-100-200  it shows how to hook up the power supply.  If we had that info the modifying ::)  would begin ;D .    Thanks
           Looking thru some more AE stuff, I found a number for the Type 88 power supply ( I think)
    L- 7038AO    Later      stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

Quote from: stub1953 on March 03, 2011, 02:00:34 PM
                I only had 9.5 off hook so I don't think it would work here either......

What is the voltage with the phone on hook?  All phone lines will drop down to the 9volt range when off hook....

-Bill
-Bill G

stub

Bill,
      I have here on hook- 48.3 VDC . The GSP said it had to have a min. 17 VDC. I just assumed that was for off-hook.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

I have an 880 that works ok on my 24 volt system, so I would say that Everwood should just hook it up and see if it works or not.

I am thinking that the 17 volt reference is to on hook voltage with no load, but I have been wrong before.
-Bill G

stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Hey Bill,
          Your right , again :o  ;D I have been told , by another, higher authority, that it should work with our line voltage - 48 VDC and the external power supply shouldn't be needed. Hookem up and see.!!
Everwood - I would wait and see how this turns out before you hook up yours.  GG has 5 to experiment  with, well maybe, just 4 .           Good Luck to all !!    stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

GG

Yo dudes-

I'll have four to experiment with; I'm not going to guinea-pig the unit I'm sending to you (Stub) though I hope you'll wait until I've guinea-pigged mine before you try to hook yours up.  This by way of avoiding potential errors that could burn out your unit. 

I agree the line voltage spec has to be with regard to the phone on-hook, since the voltage with any handset off hook will vary in accord with the resistance of the carbon mic, and that in turn can change significantly depending on the position of the handset (probably more so for older phones with older transmitters than for newer ones). 

Re. the missing lamp caps and volume controls: that's immediately visible from the photo posted on the Knappens' website, and I was expecting to get all five units in that condition.  My inclination is to be a bit of a communist here and divide up the scarce parts equally, so you and I each get a unit with the lamp cap and volume control knob, and I have to go fish to find substitute parts for the rest of my units. 

Fortunately there's an electronics shop nearby that has a lot of obscure old stuff, and one of the guys who works there used to be a CO switch eng, so if I bring one of these in, he might take an interest in digging out boxes of parts that might work.  I'm not so concerned about finding an exact match for my other units; "close enough is close enough," and as I said in the column on repro WE housings, I'm a populist rather than a purist about these things.  (And promptly took a beating from the purists in the crowd.)

Terry et. al., re. power supplies:  I'm going to say I'm skeptical that it was just a transformer.  Reason being, that would put whatever-voltage AC at 60 Hz right through the line cord.  We can assume that the cord is typical of oldschool cords in not having twisted pairs to attenuate crosstalk, therefore if AC was put through it, you would get 60 Hz hum in the speaker and mic circuits, despite whatever capacitors were used on the circuit board to clean up the power.  In any case if we put AC into the unit and it's supposed to get DC, *poof!* 

Further, I just looked at the schematic in the GTEP doc we already have: there is one bridge rectifier that appears to be associated with the phone line; and there is not another one that would be needed to rectify AC from a transformer.  Further, the capacitors shown are of values too low to act as filter capacitors in an AC-DC converter circuit.  This reinforces my belief that the external power supply provides clean DC. 

In any case we still need to know the voltage and polarity, thus we still need the GTEP doc on the power supply, or if worse comes to worse, to check AE catalogs to at least find the voltage level.   

One thing that will definitely help when dealing with these units, is the fact that the circuit boards were manufactured by live humans and designed for repair by live humans, rather than being manufactured by robots and designed to be thrown out rather than repaired.  The things most likely to blow up are the transistors.  There are two types, the part numbers of each are shown, and since they start with 2N, they are likely to be standard enough that substitutes can be found if needed.   After that, the electrolytic capacitors, whose values are also shown, and for which replacements are common parts.  If anyone wants to debate whether substitute transistors & capacitors are an acceptable repair vs. keeping a unit original with blown components that don't work, I'd be happy to discuss the issue further.  Kinda' like replacement ivory 302 housings : - )

stub

Everwood,
              Thanks for the AE Speakerphone Adapter. I have tried several phones and the unit is still dead. Will report back later when I get something figured out.   Thanks, Aaron.  MOVED TO -Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield