News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO Candlestick Problem

Started by Dan, August 08, 2009, 07:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

That's just it.  In the spirit of conservatism, lets not.  We can do without this section of switch if we can properly solder the other one on and make sure it does not rub inside the shaft.

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

By the way, switch pile-ups are a royal pain, even when not dealing with rusty screws and home-made leaves.

-Bill G

Dan

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 10, 2009, 10:18:22 PM
Yes, give your last suggestion a try, carefully.  I don't know how fragile the switch pile-up is.

I literally pryed up switched leaves 1,2, and three 1/2 inch up from 4. They spring right back in place and hit tightly against 4 in the hang up and unhung up position.

Take the leaves  apart next to get to #4 and bend it up tighter towards the former rubber grommet, or do you wish to bypass this somehow?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

looks like you answered me, lets leave (no pun atended) the leaf 4 alone
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

I'm going out to get the soldering gun , BWB

Dan

looking back @ the old pics, where do I solder this yellow/blu  wire. It looks like it is near leaf one, but since you know the schematic and I don't where does it go?

Phonesrfun

Take a look at posts 12 (photo 1) and post 52  I believe it goes onto the protruding terminal that looks like someone's arm hanging out of a car window.

Can you send a photo of your soldering gun and the solder you are using so I can get my bearings here?  Did my dissertation on soldering I sent this afternoon make any sense?

-Bill
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Did the whole terminal break off????  I was thinking just the wire came off the terminal.
-Bill G

Dan

here's the solder kit. The solder is rosin-core, if that matters

Dan

look @ pic 2 reply 52, the whole thing came off

Dan

I was reading your post 46 "looks like a crack in the blade may be a problem" you nailed it.

Phonesrfun

OK, now I understand.  (Did you ever see "Being There" with Peter Sellers...."I understand perfectly...:)

Ahh.  First of all, your solder and solder gun are good!.  Second, I believe the broken piece goes to leaf number two, and that the Green/Yellow wire is soldered onto a stub that is on the top leaf, #1.   At least that is what reply #54 shows as well as my schematic and notes. You may want to verify that to be sure.

Now, we have a practical problem.  The contact that was connected to (I believe) leaf #2 has broken clean off.  How to re-attach it?  When we were talking about soldering, I was thinking that only the wire had broken off the terminal.  This may involve opening up the stack.  Now I defer to you.  Do you have any ideas about hooking this back up?  

I just read your most recent post that you sent regarding the crack in the blade (leaf?).  Can you get a picture of that?  Also, something in another prior photo just caught my eye.  The brown/yellow and yellow/brown wires are both connected to binding nuts which in turn go to leaves #3 and #4.  It almost looks like one of the spade tips is touching the other post.  Can you make sure they are not.  (Probably does not make any difference if this switch is permantly closed).

But lets talk some more about the crack in the blade.

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Wait a minute, I have an idea for connecting this...
-Bill G

Dan

sorry for the confusion , there is no crack in any blade, just the "thing" that the yellow blue wire attaches to obviously has a crack, as it cracked off. I meant this homemade thing may have had a crack in it. Glad the gun and solder are good. Could I unscrew the leaves, shove the broken piece between layers two and three, and retighten it.? Would it require solder over the "sandwich"-

Phonesrfun

Thaks for the clarification about the blade and the crack.  When I gave it more thought, that is what I thought.

My idea is similar to yours.

Let me study the photo in # 54 for a moment....
-Bill G