News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Walton Telephone & Electric Co.

Started by wds, October 27, 2012, 09:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Picked up this wood phone yesterday.  Not sure if I got a good deal or not, but I figured the receiver was worth about what I paid for the whole phone.  Depending on the condition of the phone when it arrives, I plan on restoring it.  The transmitter doesn't seem right - does anyone have any idea who made this phone?  And would there have been a transmitter on this box, or would this have been part of a two or three box phone?  I found some pictures of a couple Blake phones that this one resembles, but can't be sure.  Any thoughts?

http://tinyurl.com/waltonphone
Dave

Sargeguy

Looks like a conversion from a 3 or 2 boxer.  You can see where they moved the tag down to make room for the transmitter.  The horned switchhook is very nice.  Where did you find this?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Ebay - link is posted.  I could see that the transmitter isn't mounted properly, and that there appeared to be a metal tag in the spot where the transmitter is now.  Once I figure out what brand this is, I can cover the hole with the correct name plate.  I was flipping through a Dooner and Mountjoy  book and found some almost identical - I thought if I could figure out who's magnet that is maybe that would help shed some light on who the manufacturer was.  I've seen this magnet before, but can't remember who's it is.  Those books also show two tags on this box, the name of the phone company on the bottom, and the name of the manufacturer where the transmitter is now.
Dave

wds

The bells and mounting bracket look just like a Blake.  Still need to ID the magnet and ringer.  Look at page 50 in Dooner 2nd edition book - it shows a Connecticut two box that has the same transmitter mounted on the box. 
Dave

Sargeguy

Sorry, that's what happens when you look at phones on your phone!

That magneto has turned up a few times on eBay over the years, I cannot remember the maker, but I have seen it before.  That ringer is fantastic!  That thing is ancient.  The first thing I would do is pitch that transmitter and plug the hole.   If you do find a tag, it will cover it up perfectly.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Can't wait to get it.  Here's a couple more pictures.
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave...really, really nice! I think your long pole is worth the price you paid for this auction. It sure is a beauty....Doug
Kidphone

wds

I'm quite pleased.  There were 3 versions of the long pole receiver, and this one is the oldest.  Somewhere around 1880, which appears to be the same time as the wood phone.  A long pole sold recently for $315, and it wasn't in as good shape, and was a newer version.  If this 1880's phone arrives and is in as good a condition as the pictures show, I'll be really happy.
Dave

dsk

Never seen a ringer (ringermotor) like that.

Interesting.

dsk

wds

Here's where I saw this magnet and ringer before.  This one is labeled Ericsson.  Doesn't seem that Walton Telephone in NY would be using Ericsson equipment in 1880?  Maybe there is a common denominator here, someone else manufactured this equipment for both companies?
Dave

wds

this is my first long pole, so I don't know much about them.  I knew they were fairly expensive, but why did this one go for so much?  $1594.69

http://tinyurl.com/ckp5yom

It has a marked cap, but otherwise seems to be a newer version of the one I just bought.  Plus it has some damage.  Can anyone tell me what makes this one so expensive?
Dave

Sargeguy

I know the marked cap makes it more expensive by a factor of two.  Still, it seems that seems that this one went high while yours went really really low.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Well, now the bad news.  Came in the mail, no damage, but the receiver is not complete.  Is it still worth what I paid for it, or should I send it back?  Not sure if the seller is going to give a partial refund.  Can these missing parts even be found?
Dave

poplar1

I'm sure it is worth more than you paid for the whole phone. My guess is that there is a broken receiver somewhere with good inside parts. Is it marked in any way?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

No, it's unmarked, which I know lowers the value. 
Dave