News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

curly cords

Started by suhoni56, October 22, 2014, 07:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suhoni56

I am noticing on ebay that some curly cords seem skinny.... more tightly curled than others. What is the significance of this?
Susan

unbeldi

They got thinner over time as manufacturing methods improved.  Insulating materials got better, outer jacket plastics become more durable.
In the 50s the conductors were still made of tinsel, a very thin bronze ribbon wrapped around a core of Nylon thread and wrapped with paper. Put four of those together into a cord, and it gets pretty thick.  The "fat" cords of the 50s are notable.
Later on, leads were made of multi-stranded wire which reduced the diameter, and provided almost equal flexibility.

suhoni56

Thanks for confirming what my memory told me. I just bought the one with the thick cord! It is hardwired.

I am still, for the most part, only buying bargains. I got her on ebay for 16.50 plus 11.95 shipping.

I am hoping she is dated '56, but no dates were listed in the ad. The bottom is black and it says 500 C/D. The orange refurbish info just says 570. I think I can see where the triangular feet were before being changed.
Susan

WEBellSystemChristian

I think the highest quality cords were last made in 1957. After that, they started getting skinnier and skinnier.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 22, 2014, 08:46:43 PM
I think the highest quality cords were last made in 1957. After that, they started getting skinnier and skinnier.
I don't think it has anything to do with quality.  In fact, quality probably improved with the thinner cords.

Thick cords' plastic tended to get brittle more than the later ones. we often find the thick cords with broken jackets.

Sargeguy

The rubber insulation on the thicker cords is also more prone to dry rot than the vinyl used on later cords
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on October 22, 2014, 08:48:38 PM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 22, 2014, 08:46:43 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with quality.  In fact, quality probably improved with the thinner cords.

Thick cords' plastic tended to get brittle more than the later ones. we often find the thick cords with broken jackets.
Well, really tough looking cords, anyway.

I also have problems with older cords. I have a least 3 of them that were on a dates-matching phone that couldn't be saved due to drying out and cracking.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Kenton K

They may not have been as durable, but they certainly look a whole lot nicer!

suhoni56

I read somewhere that 3 shades of yellow 500's were released in 1956 (my birthyear), so I bought on a whim, based on that info, the fat curly wire, being hardwired, the black bottom, and overall good condition.... and of course, a low price. (Canary, Sunlight, and Pastel yellows).`
Susan

unbeldi

Quote from: suhoni56 on October 22, 2014, 09:48:19 PM
I read somewhere that 3 shades of yellow 500's were released in 1956 (my birthyear), so I bought on a whim, based on that info, the fat curly wire, being hardwired, the black bottom, and overall good condition.... and of course, a low price. (Canary, Sunlight, and Pastel yellows).`
Western Electric really only made one yellow color, they called it 'yellow' and it had the manufacturing code 56. It was the marketing departments in the phone companies which invented other names to put the customers into a spending mood. A color set incurred an additional fee for installation.

The names you mentioned are indeed some of those names.

Yellow was available starting in 1954.

poplar1

The fat, black WE curly cords coded H3AF are among the worst. I've never found one that didn't have static. These were an optional cord for 302s from c. 1951-1957. By 1958, the WE cords for 302s were much better.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

suhoni56

Here is where I read about phone colors. Seems like I will be faced with a daunting (but enjoyable) task to sort it all out.
Susan

unbeldi

Quote from: suhoni56 on October 22, 2014, 10:14:15 PM
Here is where I read about phone colors. Seems like I will be faced with a daunting (but enjoyable) task to sort it all out.
The information is correct, you just shouldn't interpret the different color name as being different from each other.
That is one of Paul-F's pages.

suhoni56

Yes, the web address appears at the top of the pic. It is one of his pages.
Susan

paul-f

Quote from: unbeldi on October 22, 2014, 10:23:32 PM
Quote from: suhoni56 on October 22, 2014, 10:14:15 PM
The information is correct, you just shouldn't interpret the different color name as being different from each other.
That is one of Paul-F's pages.

Please see the note on that page:

Note: The first color name is typically the one found in the initial BSPs. Other names were used in marketing literature and often differed among the Operating Companies.

A two-digit color code was assigned to each production plastic shade.  All names following a color code apply to one color. 

All the names on the list have been spotted by collectors in catalogs, BSPs, articles and other Bell System literature.  There may be more examples to be found and reported.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line