News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Fixing a WE Telstar base stand, What's good for doing that?

Started by RotoTech99, May 19, 2019, 05:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I have a WE Telstar with a broken plastic base stand, and am looking for something to glue the broken portion back, please.

So far I've tried "Gorilla Glue" super glue gel, which didn't pan out,  I'm thinking of trying Gorilla Glue clear, which is, supposed to be as good as the original, but doesn't foam up.

Another thought was trying Acetone, as I heard it will melt and fuse certain plastics, and hopefully if the Telstar's plastic can be melted and fused by acetone.

I'm open to suggestions, please as I've never quite encountered this issue before, and would gladly express thanks to anyone on CRPF with ideas, suggestions, etc., or maybe a spare base stand would be welcome.

Thank you,
RotoTech99

Some pictures of the crack and where is is located may help. Gives someone an idea of what you're dealing with.

RotoTech99

Dear Duffy:

Just posted the pictures... Personally, the break in my opinion is probably common for that type stand.

I've also got PC7, a two part epoxy I'm intending to try. Included is a pic of the GorillaGlue Clear I mentioned.

Admittedly, I'm a bit unsure which to use, if not acetone.

Quote from: RotoTech99 on May 19, 2019, 07:18:00 PM
Dear Duffy:

Just posted the pictures... Personally, the break in my opinion is probably common for that type stand.

I've also got PC7, a two part epoxy I'm intending to try. Included is a pic of the GorillaGlue Clear I mentioned.

Admittedly, I'm a bit unsure which to use, if not acetone.

Here is the glue I use. It seems to work fine.

RotoTech99

That's the one I tried already; followed the instructions to the letter, and it failed soon after.

That's why I'm thinking of either the PC7 or the acetone.

I'm glad to hear it worked good for you; I guess alot is dependent on the plastic type as to how well the glue works.

I always thought the ones that make a chemical weld between surfaces worked better....

Thanks,
RotoTech99

Key2871

I have used loctight gel and that stuff beats gg all day long in my opinion. Walmart has it for like five bucks a bottle.
YOU could just the bond with isoprople alcohol to speed set the glue. But I tried gg and I didn't like it at all.
KEN

gands-antiques

I've successfully used two part JB weld attaching plastic to plastic and you can even reinforce the joint with a little extra JB weld build up.

You might want to rough up the pieces to be joined with some fine sand paper for better adhesion.

They have fast dry and regular and I've heard the regular is the best.

* They even have some for joining metal that has some metal particles in it for supposedly a better metal repair.

Gary

FABphones

If it were me, I would make the repair using Acetone. The area needs to be clean and totally free of glue. The Acetone will melt the ABS so use sparingly, taking care not to let the Acetone run/drip and mark the surrounding area. The Acetone will bond the ABS to itself and should give a tidy strong repair. You can reinforce inner areas with mesh. By sanding and polishing afterwards, the repair can be made practically invisible.

Do a CRPF search for threads on Acetone / ABS repairs (or take a look in the 'Telephone Restoration Projects and Techniques' heading), here is one example:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20309

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

With many plastics, many glues are an intermediary material that separates too easily under any stress.  The best way for many plastics is to use a cement that softens and liquefies the broken surfaces and allows a bonding that is made of just the plastic itself.  Acetone can do it, but with some plastics it will cause the surface to whiten, so it's a good idea to use it in a unseen area to see how it takes.  Testors makes a couple of cements for this purpose.  One is a clear liquid solvent in a bottle.  the other has plastic suspended in solvent and comes in a bottle with a hypodermic spout.  The latter has given me the strongest joints of the two,  You can find them on Amazon.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Looks like it is already whitened by the superglue attempt. Also looks to be an internal part so looks should not matter.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RotoTech99

That white was from Gorilla super glue gel... Must've been a puny gorilla, it didn't work when I tried it.

19and41

Here is a link for the cement that adds to the joint.  it dries to a glossy finish.  With these products, plenty of drying time is essential to a reliable bond.

https://www.amazon.com/Testors-3507AT-Liquid-Plastic-1-Ounce/dp/B00005CA7S/ref=sr_1_4?crid=393BJ6PG23YFO&keywords=testors+plastic+cement&qid=1558566426&s=gateway&sprefix=testors%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-4

This is the link for the solvent only cement.  It softens the areas to be bonded.  It won't bond through previously applied glues as the other glue will form a barrier to the plastic to be bonded.

https://www.amazon.com/Testors-Plastic-Cement-Liquid-Oz/dp/B004Z0PFTC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=393BJ6PG23YFO&keywords=testors+plastic+cement&qid=1558566705&s=gateway&sprefix=testors%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-5
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

RotoTech99

Hello, I just applied acetone to the broken part of my Telstar base stand... I wasn't sure if I was supposed to apply it to one side or both, so I applied a little to both edges and set it.

Was that what you were supposed to do, I hope?  As soon as I can get JB Weld, I'm going to fill the recess in with it to reinforce it, and use some screen cloth to help reinforce it.

I don't have any of the fine screen cloth, but I can get some of the more modern screen and cut it to fit.

Luckily it looked like it began fusing the edges right away... I'm a bit uncertain on how, long it should sit to ensure a good weld.

Do any of the CRPF "folks" have some suggestions on how long to allow it to set?

BTW: Many thank you's for the feedback.

RotoTech99

FABphones

Quote from: RotoTech99 on May 23, 2019, 07:26:55 PM
...Do any of the CRPF "folks" have some suggestions on how long to allow it to set? ...

I've got myself into the habit of not returning to any repairs like your project until the following day.

It would great to see some photos of your progress.  :)

ETA: You did it correctly - apply the Acetone to both sides needing to be adhered together.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble