News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg 900 Pyramid

Started by Pourme, January 07, 2017, 03:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I have wanted one of these ever since I first saw my first one. Such a unique design!

I missed my chance on one that looked perfect at $49.95+...I hesitated and lost it.

I watched this one go through the EBAY process at around $80.00, a couple of times. I figured it had been "restored" by one of those noted restoration businesses. I prefer original equipment, but will consider anything at the right price. If nothing else it can be a place holder.

It was offered for $51.98 OBO. I offered $25.99 and they accepted. It cost $9.24 to ship.

The listing shone here doesn't reflect my offer price (wonder why?) http://tinyurl.com/gs87x48

It didn't work because one of the 3 wires going into the handset was broken. I could see that on the listing pictures. Once connected it worked. A mini network and warbler was also installed, as well. I don't mind these at this time. A corner had a slight chip and had been filled. Aftermarket cords were in good condition. The receiver and transmitter has also been replaced. The phone works and sounds really well.

After I removed the paint the body seemed dry and had a chalky appearance. To be honest I'm not all that excited about sanding and buffing this body with it's small, curved and many angled body design. I have been applying Skin So Soft to it and it is looking much improved. I believe as Doug Rose does that the body absorbs the oils and improves the condition as well as the appearance of the body. I'm in no hurry to sand and polish.

I am happy to own this piece and it fulfills my appetite for a 900...for now.

Benny 
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

It bothered me that I was stating I paid $25.99 and the EBAY page showed nearly double, so I thought I'd post this as well.
Benny

unbeldi

Don't worry about the price, Ebay never shows the value of best offers.

I would recommend a final treatment of your phone with black KIWI shoe polish paste.  Being a dark black it will not only cover any gray spots, it will also give it nice shine, if you polish it well enough with a wool sock, for example.  After done,  spray a very thin mist of water on it, and polish with a little KIWI for a final time.  The look will reward you.

I need to do that to this one again too.

While it is nice to keep the phone as original as possible, I agree, the transmitters in these handsets usually don't work well anymore.  For using this set with good success, the new elements and the mini-network are good accessories.

TelePlay

Yes, difficult to find the selling price of Best Offers. But there is a tedious way if you really want to know, if eBay posted it correctly.

In this case, eBay has it wrong. I was looking in the $35 (price plus shipping) sold range and could not find it so went up to the $62 range and there it was. Looks as if it sold for full price, but it didn't. Software at eBay must have hiccuped again.

The phone that sold next to it, to the left, shows a best offer sale (strike through price) price making it having sold just less than what it shows for your phone.

paul-f

Congratulations on the find and restoration, Benny.

The topic subject should be corrected to read Kellogg 900 Pyramid.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Pourme

Thanks & done...I don't know what I was thinking....brain poot!

Benny
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on January 07, 2017, 04:44:22 PM
Thanks & done...I don't know what I was thinking....brain poot!

It's the snow . . .

I just did a global change of the title so every post in this topic now says Kellogg 900 Pyramid.

Pourme

Quote from: unbeldi on January 07, 2017, 04:02:48 PM
Don't worry about the price, Ebay never shows the value of best offers.

I would recommend a final treatment of your phone with black KIWI shoe polish paste.  Being a dark black it will not only cover any gray spots, it will also give it nice shine, if you polish it well enough with a wool sock, for example.  After done,  spray a very thin mist of water on it, and polish with a little KIWI for a final time.  The look will reward you.

I need to do that to this one again too.

While it is nice to keep the phone as original as possible, I agree, the transmitters in these handsets usually don't work well anymore.  For using this set with good success, the new elements and the mini-network are good accessories.

I will do that. I have read about the shoe polish treatment on the forum before but didn't remember it!...Thanks

Benny
Benny

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on January 07, 2017, 04:02:48 PM

That's what they made us do with our Army boots and shoes back in 1970. It's amazing what water on wax with a soft cloth will do for any surface.

poplar1

Quote from: TelePlay on January 07, 2017, 04:14:10 PM
Yes, difficult to find the selling price of Best Offers. But there is a tedious way if you really want to know, if eBay posted it correctly.

In this case, eBay has it wrong. I was looking in the $35 (price plus shipping) sold range and could not find it so went up to the $62 range and there it was. Looks as if it sold for full price, but it didn't. Software at eBay must have hiccuped again.

The phone that sold next to it, to the left, shows a best offer sale (strike through price) price making it having sold just less than what it shows for your phone.

You can also search by highest price, but without shipping charges, to make an easier comparison:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Telephones/38036/i.html?_fsrp=1&_sop=3&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40&_nkw=kellogg&_pgn=5&_skc=200&rt=nc
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

andre_janew

It looks like it has one of those mini networks inside.  Was that in there when you bought it or was that something you put in to hopefully make it work?

Pourme

Quote from: andre_janew on January 07, 2017, 05:28:46 PM
It looks like it has one of those mini networks inside.  Was that in there when you bought it or was that something you put in to hopefully make it work?

It was there when I received the phone. I think it was reconditioned by someone in the past.
Benny

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on January 07, 2017, 06:15:38 PM
It was there when I received the phone. I think it was reconditioned by someone in the past.

Many of the Kellogg 900 series telephones can be found with mini-networks installed and newer receivers and transmitters.
People didn't want to throw them away.
I think I have seen a couple even with FCC registration stickers by commercial outfits.

Pourme

Quote from: TelePlay on January 07, 2017, 04:48:09 PM
It's the snow . . .

I just did a global change of the title so every post in this topic now says Kellogg 900 Pyramid.

Thanks John...Good to have you watching my back.... :)
Benny

Pourme

Quote from: unbeldi on January 07, 2017, 07:03:52 PM
Many of the Kellogg 900 series telephones can be found with mini-networks installed and newer receivers and transmitters.
People didn't want to throw them away.
I think I have seen a couple even with FCC registration stickers by commercial outfits.

My Kellogg 700 has that sticker, added by  Chicago Telephone....
Benny