News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Surprise Find Today - Picture Frame Front N1317 for $20!

Started by DavePEI, October 17, 2013, 10:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Yesterday, I had a phone call from a gentleman I have gotten phones from before. He is an ex-Island Tel employee.

He wondered if I was interested in an N-1317, an offer I almost turned down as I have several. I finally offered $20 for it, and picked it up today!

Am I ever glad I didn't turn it down. All of my 1317s are the newer ones with the plain front. This is an older Picture Frame Front version with the long transmitter arm. It is in excellent shape - appearance-wise, it will need only a thorough cleaning, and a coat of wax to protect the finish. Alas, at some point in its life, someone has put a Bulldog transmitter on it, and I will have to replace that. All the rest is original, needing only neatening up of the wiring.

What a pleasure to see it this morning. Here it is as it appeared when I first got it home!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

Well... this is a good deal  for you Dave :).. If I understand, you paid $20 fot your telephone ?..

DavePEI

Quote from: Contempra on October 17, 2013, 10:44:16 AM
Well... this is a good deal  for you Dave :).. If I understand, you paid $20 fot your telephone ?..
Yep! Not bad... It pays not to get too excited - in this case, I didn't realize it was a  picture frame front one until I actually saw it. My first 1317 I bought years ago at a yard sale -- it had been stored in a barn for years, with all external parts thrown inside, and was by then a dull gray colour with water affecting the varnish. I asked her what it was (while, of course knowing), and she said she didn't know but thought it might have been a radio, and she sold it to me for $5! By that afternoon, it was a fully restored 1317 finish and wiring-wise!

Little hint for anyone who finds one in that shape - using laquer thinner and 4 ought steel wool, scrub the greyed varnish - that will allow it to re-flow and return to its normal colour, then finish with paste was. Many years later now, and that first phone looks fantastic!

I am pleased with this one, as my others are all plain front, and only one of my others has the original long transmitter arm.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does the thing that looks like a switch just above the induction coil do?

Larry

DavePEI

Ok, One thing I find I will need for this phone is a new switch-hook. Someone had stuck another switch-hook on it with a straight shank on it, and which doesn't have the camb shape at the end as a standard 143 type switch-hook has, and which is needed to press against the switch contacts.

It is the same hook that is used on the WE wooden wall phones with separate receiver. I would also need the pin which connects the hook to the switch...

Anyone have one to spare?

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 17, 2013, 11:13:24 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what does the thing that looks like a switch just above the induction coil do?

Larry

The "floating" switch appears to be the original 143-type hook switch, not the central checking button used when calling the operator.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on October 17, 2013, 06:42:39 PM
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 17, 2013, 11:13:24 AM

Larry

The "floating" switch appears to be the original 143-type hook switch, not the central checking button used when calling the operator.
Actually, you are correct. As I investigated it further, it turned out someone had broken or lost the original arm, and had installed the hook switch off another phone (and left the original inside the phone.) The new one he put in wouldn't work correctly, as it binded and was not the correct switch or arm, so I am re-installing the original switch and trying to find an arm for it. This guy should have known better than to do this as he worked for the phone company, but I can't complain - the price was right!

A photo of the switch he had in there is below - definitely not the correct one - the other one is correct and in good shape, just missing its arm.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

rdelius

DavePEI

Quote from: rdelius on October 17, 2013, 07:10:04 PM
that is a Kellogg switch and hook arm
Ok, so now we know. It was oddly shoehorned into the phone, and the original switch left in. All I can think is he tried it as a transplant and discovered it wouldn't work, so left it as it was.

Now, if I can find someone who wants that Kellogg switch-hook!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

Could you repost the photo/line drawing of the N1317? (That is, if I didn't imagine seeing it here a few minutes ago!) Also, in the photo showing the hook you are looking for, is it common to have holes in a NE wall phone hook?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on October 17, 2013, 07:30:45 PM
Could you repost the photo/line drawing of the N1317? (That is, if I didn't imagine seeing it here a few minutes ago!) Also, in the photo showing the hook you are looking for, is it common to have holes in a NE wall phone hook?
Here it is.... I have seen NE hooks both with and without holes. The sample photo I posted was of a reproduction hook. As long as it is the correct hook, I am not about to nit-pick - in fact, I prefer the ones with holes, as it is then possible to tie the receiver to the hook using a tie wrap so kids in the museum don't smash the receivers by dropping them (yes, I have had to replace my fair share of receivers due to kids doing exactly that). It gets expensive!

However, the one I am negotiating for has the solid ears without the holes which is original NE, and I will have to find another way to prevent little fingers from dropping the receiver. I may mount the phone six feet off the ground!  :)
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

It came with the shelf as well Dave. Many of them seemed to have been "modernized" into the firewood box.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 17, 2013, 07:41:09 PM
It came with the shelf as well Dave. Many of them seemed to have been "modernized" into the firewood box.

Terry
Actually, a lot of them came without the shelf when new. One of my 1317s never had mounting holes for a shelf drilled into it!  I have an early NE order form around here somewhere, and it offers the option of shelf/noshelf 1317s. To tell, one can look for the mounting holes.
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

I have bought Larry's hook, an original NE hook without the holes on the ears... Thanks, Larry!
C*NET 1-651-0001