News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Have you ever tried thinning the herd?

Started by Greg G., October 10, 2010, 04:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I am trying to sell off some random parts I can't see myself using on eBay.  The fully functional phones are going through various other channels.  It seems that for every phone I sell there is at least one to replace it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Adam

I plan on culling out about 20 phones or so and taking them with a box of other junque to the Brea phone show, which is next February, I believe.  I'm also thinking about San Jose next month but it's a bit of a drive for me from L.A...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Dennis Markham

I guess we've drifted from the topic of thinning the herd to packing so I'll add to the drift........

I bought an "official" scale from the Post Office for $10.  It will weigh up to 10 pounds and it is accurate.  On occasion I have taken a previously weighed box in and get the same weight on their big counter scale.

I have shipped phones in the Medium Flat Rate box and so far they've all arrived safely.  But as I do more and more I have decided against that box.  It just isn't worth saving a couple of bucks to risk damaging a phone.  There isn't much room for error.  

The standard Priority Box actually ships cheaper based upon weight when it's not going all the way across the Country.  Like if I ship from here (Michigan) to places as far as Virginia, Ohio, Wisconsin, maybe Kentucky the price is less for a 500 going by weight than by paying $10.70 for  flat rate box.  Perhaps those destinations are within my "zone".  But if I have to ship flat rate I now use the Large Flat Rate.  It costs more but in the end it's safer (in my mind).  

An example is I just sent Kenny a 500 housing.  Packed in the regular Priority box it weighed 2 pounds.  I think shipping was under $6.00. That left me lots of room to package it well.  I could have put it in a Medium Flat Rate Box but would have paid $10.70.  So I save $3-4 and got a better/safer package.

I pay for my postage on-line and print the labels.  Like Jim, I walk in past all those peasants standing in line and put my package in the bin (We have a big dump drawer) and walk out.  Takes me 30 seconds to walk from the car inside and out again.  My postal carrier will pick it up but I like knowing it's on the way when I drop it in the bin.  And I live a quarter mile from the P.O.

Sargeguy

As part of my herd thinning, I was just up in the attic looking for a subset that was not with my other phones in the basement (I have a large attic, and its filled with junk).  I had packed everything up when my daughter was born and I had to turn my office into a nursery.  I didn't find the subset but I found 3 boxes of 302s and 500s I had put up there a couple years ago when the baby was born.  One box was junk but the other had a minty 306 with a NOS curly cord and wool feet.  It even worked when I plugged it in.  That will not be thinned. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 10, 2010, 09:54:35 PM
I guess we've drifted from the topic of thinning the herd to packing so I'll add to the drift........

.  Like Jim, I walk in past all those peasants standing in line and put my package in the bin (We have a big dump drawer) and walk out.  Takes me 30 seconds to walk from the car inside and out again.  My postal carrier will pick it up but I like knowing it's on the way when I drop it in the bin.  And I live a quarter mile from the P.O.

I like to drop it at the PO to keep life easy for my carrier. If it is a big package or multiple packages they will send the package truck.

If I need special services or feel like BS's w/ "my clerk"  I will wait in line until he is avaliable.
He has been at my PO for years. He knows I deal in phones and he is enjoyable to chat with.
Just the way I do it,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

I am enjoying the pruning topic so I'll keep that going. 

OK so I have corralled the herd, except for the Pekin Red that is in hiding from my daughter who thinks its a toy. and the D-1/E-1 that is on the bench, and the 500 series and princesses have been taken out in the yard and shot.   ;D.  There is a little redundancy, so a little thinning may be in order. 

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Kenny C

i see 18 302's and 1 500 hiding behind that AE Run little fella
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Quote from: masstel on October 10, 2010, 08:30:35 PM
I plan on culling out about 20 phones or so and taking them with a box of other junque to the Brea phone show, which is next February, I believe.  I'm also thinking about San Jose next month but it's a bit of a drive for me from L.A...
It is a sorta close show and Remco will be there,  I have gone to shows on flimsier excuses.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Adam

Anybody else from here planning to go to the San Jose show?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Sargeguy

Close:19 300 series desksets, about 1/2 of which are 302s.  There is a 352 and a 356 (no 354s), a 151 Al, one B-1, three or four  D-1s, an explosion proof phone, three 211s, a buttset from the 40s, 5 subsets and a couple boxes of cords and handsets.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Quote from: Jim S. on October 10, 2010, 07:17:19 PM
Quote from: KeithB on October 10, 2010, 07:05:17 PM
I have two bags full of foam packing peanuts.  Whenever I received anything shipped using them, I couldn't bear tossing them in the garbage.  I've found they're good for stuffing into odd spaces (like around phones) when packing things, and they provide reasonably good protection if over-stuffed and then compressed.

Of course, there will ALWAYS be UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc. workers who ram things into boxes.  In those cases, I'll eagerly skewer and roast the shipping company for their utter lack of respect to customers' shipments.

HANDY HINT:
Pack the peanuts in small bags. tie or seal them shut.
Use these packing "pillows" when you ship.It keeps the peanuts from making a mess and the receipient will probably re-use them as well.
JMO,
Jim

Freezer bags!  I keep a supply of both small and large for other purposes, those should be perfect!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Sargeguy on October 10, 2010, 08:21:50 PM
It seems that for every phone I sell there is at least one to replace it.

That's bad?   ???
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Greg.....Medium Priority Flat box is a sellers best friend. Most phones fit in with ease with plenty of room for packing. It also lets you give shipping costs with no worries after the auction. Be sure to include insurance and delivery confirmation in your shipping quote ans the seller IS responsible until it reaches your buyer door. There are as many shading buyers as there are sellers, so go into selling with your eyes wide open. As for peanuts, I hate them! Bagging is a good idea, but nothing replaces bubble and plenty of newspaper. Good luck selling....Doug .... jflowres on the bay
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Kidphone on October 11, 2010, 08:14:28 AM
Greg.....Medium Priority Flat box is a sellers best friend. Most phones fit in with ease with plenty of room for packing. It also lets you give shipping costs with no worries after the auction. Be sure to include insurance and delivery confirmation in your shipping quote ans the seller IS responsible until it reaches your buyer door. There are as many shading buyers as there are sellers, so go into selling with your eyes wide open. As for peanuts, I hate them! Bagging is a good idea, but nothing replaces bubble and plenty of newspaper. Good luck selling....Doug .... jflowres on the bay

I just ordered a 25 pack of MFR boxes from the PO.  I didn't think about insurance.  I'll go back and look, but I tend to bypass all the stuff that ebay tries to nickle-and-dime you to death with.  The newspaper suggestion in lieu of peanuts is a good idea.  Peanuts I have to buy, but I can get plenty of free newspaper just a half-block away.  There's one of those newspaper holders that gives away the local rag, Seattle Weekly.  Or is it The Stranger?  Either one, they're both rags (and free).
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on October 11, 2010, 03:08:41 PM
Quote from: Kidphone on October 11, 2010, 08:14:28 AM

I just ordered a 25 pack of MFR boxes from the PO.  I didn't think about insurance.  I'll go back and look, but I tend to bypass all the stuff that ebay tries to nickle-and-dime you to death with.  The newspaper suggestion in lieu of peanuts is a good idea.  Peanuts I have to buy, but I can get plenty of free newspaper just a half-block away.  There's one of those newspaper holders that gives away the local rag, Seattle Weekly.  Or is it The Stranger?  Either one, they're both rags (and free).

Free peanuts are easy to find. Just check with the local businesses. You will quickly find one that always has to many peanuts.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,