News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WW2 Phone WE653AX

Started by Ron6519, October 25, 2017, 11:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Can you post a picture of the back showing how it is attached to the backyard?

Dan F

The lock is non functional. if you look at the bottom of the phone there should be a screw. undo it and the "upper housing" should come right off.

Ron6519

Quote from: TelePlay on October 27, 2017, 10:38:00 PM
Can you post a picture of the back showing how it is attached to the backyard?
I added the back photo to the first post.

Ron6519

Quote from: Dan F on October 28, 2017, 02:46:15 AM
The lock is non functional. if you look at the bottom of the phone there should be a screw. undo it and the "upper housing" should come right off.
And the back did come right off with the screw removed.
Thank you Dan for the solution.  Got it open.  I'll post photos of the innards later today.

Ron6519

Quote from: Fabius on October 27, 2017, 08:22:48 PM
Scarce phone. Wartime conversion. Here's a link to the forum discussion on the oneI have which includes a 1943 photo of one in use.

https://tinyurl.com/y82892e4
Fabius, great tutorial of this phone.  I got it open with Dan's note that the "lock is nonfunctional".  Just remove the screw.
I'll post photos of what's inside later today.
Ron

Ron6519

Here are the photos of the inside of the phone.

HarrySmith

Quote from: Ron6519 on October 28, 2017, 10:59:12 AM
Fabius, great tutorial of this phone.  I got it open with Dan's note that the "lock is nonfunctional".  Just remove the screw.
I'll post photos of what's inside later today.
Ron

Dan's note? I must have missed that.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ron6519

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 28, 2017, 08:12:55 PM
Dan's note? I must have missed that.
I have two threads. One here and one in the payphone keys and locks.

TelePlay

Quote from: Ron6519 on October 28, 2017, 08:36:06 PM
I have two threads. One here and one in the payphone keys and locks.

Merged into one topic and moved to here, Collector's corner.

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Ron6519

Quote from: Fabius on October 28, 2017, 09:31:51 PM
Any dates on the "guts"?
There's a stamp behind the wire cluster above where the receiver wire enters the box.  I need to do a bit of disassembly to see it all. 
Stamp says,"50G".  No date code I can see.

Ron

TelePlay

There should be a data stamp on the 101A coil and possibly on the ringer coils.

Also, if you are resizing your images before uploading, make them larger, between 2000 and 2500 pixels on the largest size. The 640x480 images posted can not be enlarged to show detail.

Thanks.

Ron6519

Ringer coil is 2-44
101 coil is 11-44

Fabius

Here's the photo showing it in 1944. I believe this is a promo photo. The phone book on the table is for Manhattan (NYC) and is dated 1944. I'll scan it and post the better image.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Ron6519

Quote from: Fabius on October 29, 2017, 12:34:16 PM
Here's the photo showing it in 1944. I believe this is a promo photo. The phone book on the table is for Manhattan (NYC) and is dated 1944. I'll scan it and post the better image.
Interesting that the phone has no backing board.  Both photos I've seen don't have one.  The one I have has a payphone board that had been used with an actual payphone.  You can see the, "ghosting" of the original phone shape in the board.
I was just wondering why you would put this on the phone in a residential setting?  This was found on Long Island, NY in the town of Huntington.  Sold from a consignment shop.
Well, thanks to the help here, the phone has been identified.  Now to get it working.
I tried to wire it up and got a clicking in the earpiece, but no dial tone. Previously I bought a desktop 500 series phone and had no trouble wiring it up.  Actually got it to ring with help from a You tube video.
I figured since this was in a residential setting, it would be a straight forward path to getting it going.
Are there any wiring hints to get this up and running? Trouble shooting guides any where?
Thanks again
Ron