News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

wanting to make this phone work...........

Started by Kenny C, January 06, 2011, 08:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

On a normal line its a 564 and is there a way to use the phone but just one line?
Thanks,
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

rdelius

Look at the terminal board for a blue-white pair. this would be marked 1T and 1R i believe. Remove the blue white wires and connect a new line cord in place of them. If there is a standard ringer, connect the red and black wires to these terminals also. Make sure the slate and slate red wires are hooked up to the A&K? terminals on the network  also. Note this will allow you to make and receive calls . You will not have hold or lights though. The first button must be pushed to use the line. I do not have a set around me to double check the Markings.You can remove all the wires from the old line cord to make things neater.
Robby

Adam

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Don't masticate the phone, PLEASE!

I *HATE* it when I see 6-button phones on eBay that have had a mounting-cord-ectomy!  It ruins the collectivity of the phone!

The *right* way to do this, IMHO, is find a short 25 pair tail with a female connector.  Connect the white-blue/blue-white wires in the tail to your phone line.  Then plug the 6-button phone's cord into the adapter you just created.

You might have to move the ringer wires inside the phone to where the white-blue/blue-white wires are, to make the phone ring.  This would not be considered messing up the phone, connecting a ringer like this to line one of the set is a valid way that kind of phone might have been used.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Dave F

Masstel is absolutely right -- Please don't remove or modify the thick keyset line cord.  That would ruin the phone as a collectible, and there are ways to use it on a single line without destroying it.  You can, as Masstel suggests, find a short piece of 25-pair cable with a female Amphenol connector.  If you can find one, I (or others) can easily explain which wires to use to make it work and have the ringer work as well.

Another excellent way is to locate a 66E3-25 Connecting Block (shown below).  These pop up occasionally on eBay, and have a female Amphenol connector wired to a field of 50 punch-down terminals.  You plug the phone into the Amphenol, then run your external wires to the appropriate punch terminals.  It's a real clean solution to your problem, and this would be the "professional" way to do it.  I may have a spare 66E3-25 hiding somewhere in my piles of stuff.  If I can locate one, I'll let you know.  In the meantime, DON'T ruin the phone!!

Dave F.

Doug Rose

When I first started in the biz, many moons ago, we would often have to reuse 25 pair cable from a 1A2. There was a simple amp head to modular attachment. As memory serves, it just clipped on and had a female modular on the side. I had a box of them I lost when I moved a dozen years ago...Doug
Kidphone

Dave F

Quote from: Kidphone on January 07, 2011, 01:49:16 PM
When I first started in the biz, many moons ago, we would often have to reuse 25 pair cable from a 1A2. There was a simple amp head to modular attachment. As memory serves, it just clipped on and had a female modular on the side. I had a box of them I lost when I moved a dozen years ago...Doug
Doug,

All the similar adapters I have seen have a MALE Amphenol (like on a keyset), and are used to connect a single-line phone to a key system through the existing 25-pair cable.  Did yours really have a female?  If so, were there any options for selecting the line you wanted to use?

Dave

Doug Rose

Dave.... back then most new key/hybrid systems were two or three pair. I think it took the first three pair to female modular, so you could just plug your line cord it like it was a wall jack.. I thought there others that took different pairs, but you're talking 35 years ago....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

We used those here too. I called them "Amp Adapters". They were the wrong type of Amphenol to plug onto the phone cord as they were designed as a quick way to adapt 25 pair cables in offices to RJ jacks when 1A2 systems converted to electronic key systems or PABX's.

The first ones I saw had jacks with 4 conductors and they were soldered onto the first two pairs presumably with the option to get out the soldering iron to change them to different pairs if needed.

Then we changed to a different type that had 6 wires that could be punched onto the desirted pairs in the Amphenol plug.

Terry

cchaven

I have both a 440 and a 464.  On the 440 it still has the proper cloth covered cord but it doesn't end in the large connector, it ends in spade connectors so I've been able to wire it up to a modular adapter block like that.  On the 464 the original cord was cut off right at the case.  It would certainly be interesting  trying to wire up another with all those connections.  What would the proper cord be for this one? 

Jeff

stopthemachine

I'm so glad I came upon this forum--I was never sure what could be done with keysets.  I know they never really get much money, it seems, even in excellent condition; I think it's because many people don't know what to do with the fat keyset line cord--myself included until now!  Haha. 

Jim Stettler

I agree with the don't cut crowd, and they are more into the key stuff than I am.
Don't cut the cord. Use an adaptor.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

GG

Where to find the ringer: typically on 565 and 2656 sets, it's wired across the Yellow-Slate pair, though occasionally is found on the Yellow-Orange pair.  Thus if you're using the White-Blue pair to hook up to line 1 as a single line phone, you would connect the Yellow-Slate (or whichever) pair in parallel with it. 

Better yet though, find a 1a2 key service unit and we can tell you how to wire it up and make it work. 

Though, when working on 1a2 systems, note that there are fuses protecting the power supply, and mistakes connecting telephones to the system can result in blowing those fuses, and a trip to Radio Snack for a way to cobble together a repair.  (I somehow doubt that original 1a2 fuses are still being made; I have a bunch around from back in the day.)