News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Thank You Dennis

Started by Dan, February 24, 2011, 10:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

My sons shake their head at my phone collecting "geekiness," but even they think it is very cool to have an article published about my father's day find. They do remember how happy I was the whole summer last year!

http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/?p=433
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

You're welcome, Dan.  Thanks for allowing me to brag about your phone.  It may be a long time before we see another one of those in that color.

jsowers

Dennis, I enjoyed the article. You described the "thrill of the hunt" really well. It should get us all in the mood to visit yard sales and flea markets when the weather improves. You truly never know what's just around the corner. How many people do you think walked right by that phone and didn't know what it was? The fact that the seller was willing to take less may have meant he had it on the table more than once. That phone was the buy of the decade. Dan you should be justly proud.
Jonathan

Dan

Lucky and proud, really. It was sitting there from 7am to about 1130, if I remember, and suprisingly I had went over the entire event but somehow missed this row of vendors. I thought, well I will skim over these and go on home and I really did a double take when I saw it. I thought it was a cortelco or a spray painted one and didn't even realize it was a mushroom for a minute. I just flipped over the price tag. 

The last time I had luck like that was when I pulled up the old carpet on my first home to reveal the hardwood floors underneath. Not only were the floors gorgeous and immaculate, but tucked under the carpet was 4-$20 bills all dated in the 1970's.

Thanks again for the kind words guys. :)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright