News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Philco portable

Started by Mr. Bones, January 22, 2015, 09:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Thought I'd put up a few pics of my Philco radio... It was a gift from a dear friend. It works perfectly, but is missing the dial cover.

Sure miss my Philcos, Zeniths, cathedrals, consoles, etc. of years gone by, but life, and family happen fast. Starting back on the trail, now!  ;)

Best regards, and keep them radio pics a comin'! At least I can live vicariously, although it will never replace the sound, or the warm tube smell of listening to your own! ;)
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Dennis Markham

Nice looking radio.  It would be nice to hear/see a video of it playing.  About what year is it from?

DavePEI

Now, that brings back memories. This exact same model was our family's first small radio! It was great, because we could run it either plugged in, or on battery. They did have a tendency to chew through batteries when run that way!

Alas, it didn't survive my childhood - I took it apart during my early days learning about electronics!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Fabius

Wait for a "junker" on eBay or elsewhere to get the missing part.  Take the model number and set up the auto search on eBay to notify you when one is listed.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

jsowers

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 23, 2015, 05:06:11 AM
Nice looking radio.  It would be nice to hear/see a video of it playing.  About what year is it from?

Dennis, like you, it's from 1955. Some other sites say 1956. Probably made for a couple years. Here is some more info on it...

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_d_655d65_code_123.html

It reminds me of the large GE transistor AM portable my parents had, from about 1962. It had a brown leather-looking case and a heavy chrome handle and it used those large batteries. I remember mom listening to it ironing one day when we heard the local radio station broadcast a story about my grandfather's 1951 Plymouth being stolen. He worked at the local water plant next to the interstate and some thief stole his car and wrecked it. He always left the keys in it. I think it was about 15 years old, so it may have been a blessing in disguise. He replaced it with a used 1962 Falcon station wagon.
Jonathan