News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ANyone know what this is?

Started by RH, May 24, 2010, 05:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RH

I picked up a phone and having absolutely no luck trying to determine what it is. The only writing on the phone is inside the box lid, it says "TYPE 317 E". I have spent quite a bit of time Googling this with the only hit coming from this forum, the phone in that post was completely different. Would sure appreciate it if someone could give me any info that would allow me to research further.

Thanks

Kenny C

looks like something modified with a F1 handset i have never seen one like it but theres some one here that does you can bet on that
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

The box looks like it started out as a "picture frame" Western Electric 317.  It is definitely something that was built after the fact in a 317 box.  Looks like it was intended to be a magneto intercom.  Definitely a one-of-a-kind item.   :)

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

RH;
I agree with Bill, it may have started out as a WE317E, but has been modified extensively.
Here are photos of my 1907 WE317-E. As you can see the wood is about all that matches.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

RH

Thanks all. I was curious about all of patching in the box, so all of this makes sense.

Are there any parts that anyone would want? I will send for the cost of postage.

Dan/Panther

RH;
Please hold the magneto for me, I need that one single part to make my 317 all original. Send me your address and I will pay you. If you want something for the part, let me know,  I may have something you need.

D/P

Jim Stettler

Not to bum out those wanting parts, but my opinion is to keep it together as a "historical piece". Yes it is cobbled, but it was cobbled for a reason/purpose.
Items like this are well worth leaving together.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan/Panther

I would agree with Jim, except for the fact  It appears to not be of real historical significance as it is not a factory modification, it appears to be some home brew.
I highly doubt Western Electric had anything to do with it's modification. The only parts original to the WE317E are the wooden box and the magneto. Nothing else is original to the phone. Even at that the shelf for the magneto has been removed, an the magneto is now mounted where the batteries were originally, and a new hole has been drilled for the crank and the old one plugged.
Here is a photo of what the inside should look like except mine has a Swedish American magneto, instead of the WE magneto.
D/P

AE_Collector

Any chance of seeing a complete picture of the instructions on the front of the phone?

Terry

RH

Quote from: ae_collector on May 27, 2010, 12:47:30 AM
Any chance of seeing a complete picture of the instructions on the front of the phone?

Terry

Here it is.

Doug Rose

RH....Nice unusual find. I would leave it as is. It is certainly is something you do not see everyday. Offer it for sale on the Forum or eBay. I for one would want it.....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

I'm going to say that it is sort of like a switchboard that had only two seperate Magneto lines running off of it. It could have been two lines with one Magneto phone on each line, possibly at some remote business like a mine or who knows what. Or it could have had a whole bunch of Mag phones on each line in a rural residencial set up. Connection with the outside world was via radio Telephone apparently. We definitely had set ups like this here in rural areas of British Columbia.

This phone was probably worked up as the operators set once Radio Telephone service became available, thus that part is a fair bit more modern than the Magneto operation of the rest of the system. It may have been built / modified by the local Telco or maybe a seperate company if the system was a private system at a rural business.

It quite obviously is a "one off" but on the other hand, it is done in a fairly well designed manner to give the existing Magneto set up access with the outside world.

Just my guess...

Terry

Dan/Panther

It appears to be early radio station apparatus for putting a call on the air. Most likely engineered by the station that used it. It tells the operator; "don't forget to tell caller they are on the air."
Rich I appreciate the fact that you did offer the magneto, but if you wish to keep it intact I would surely understand.
D/P

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 27, 2010, 01:06:58 PM
It appears to be early radio station apparatus for putting a call on the air. Most likely engineered by the station that used it. It tells the operator; "don't forget to tell caller they are on the air."
Rich I appreciate the fact that you did offer the magneto, but if you wish to keep it intact I would surely understand.
D/P

Possibly, but all that terminology could be used for telephone users who until the addition of radiotelephone to the system, were not aware that anyone not connected by wire could now be listening in on conversations.

Terry