News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cable Modem question

Started by Babybearjs, November 10, 2016, 03:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

Cableone provided me with a Arris TG862G cable modem. I contacted them about purchasing the equipment, they stated they don't sell their equipment. When the installer came out, he gave me a website where the modem was for sale. ($225.00) So I started to research Ebay to find one for sale at a better price. the low end is about $45.00 used. does anyone know anything about cable modems and how they work with the cable provider? do they need to be setup? or, is everything automatic. does the firmware have a cable provider "Key" that needs to be matched in order to work, or something else? I like owning my own equipment so I don't have to pay a lease and so I have the modem in the event that I change back to a telco line and have to put the unit in storage for future use. A freind mentioned system upgrades, and that too is a concern.. will it be compatable in 5 years, or whenever I change back to a cable based system.  any thoughts on this?
John

Fabius

Yes, they need to be set up so the cable company's equipment recognizes your modem. Your cable company should have a list available of various cable modems that will work on their system. Check the different modems for performance review and lowest price.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Babybearjs

Tom, Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. I'll contact Cable One for the specifics on what I need to know.
John

Babybearjs

I went ahead an ordered a Arris TG862G telephony modem from "Region Supply" on Ebay.... Only paid $45.00 for it... Got it yesterday, took it in to CableOne and registered it...(thinking it would work) and sadly discovered that the internet part worked fine, but the telephone wouldn't work. Came to find out that CableOne has a monopoly with Arris and orders a certain lot of units, and has their system "locked" to this certain lot, so.... any unit, even though its the same make and model number will not work on their system (telephone only) unless the MAC number matches their list. this way, they can charge the leasing amount and charge a rediculus price when it come to purchasing the cable modem.... , Over $200.00! I don't know if other cable companies do this, but its terrible. Centurylink and the other phone companies don't charge this.... they encourage COE...(Customer Owned Equipment.) though they will lease the equipment if you want.... The one thing That I DO like about Cableone is the sound quality of the phone line.... Digital to analog works great, plus their equipment is better taken care of. Too many times I've seen open and damaged pedastiles. and the static....its not always the customers wiring.....
John

Fabius

For VOIP phone service I use MagicJack. Costs about $35 - $40 a year
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Babybearjs

Yeh, but you still need an IP connection for it, and that costs money....
John