News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Join C*Net?

Started by AMCer, April 19, 2013, 11:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMCer

I'd like to join C*Net but I'm unclear on the the details of how.  Anyone care to volunteer to let me chat with them to understand the HOWTOs?

G-Man

Quote from: AMCer on April 19, 2013, 11:49:41 PM
I'd like to join C*Net but I'm unclear on the the details of how.  Anyone care to volunteer to let me chat with them to understand the HOWTOs?

Try this link from the TCI Homepage:

https://www.ckts.info/

AMCer

Yeah, I saw that but it raised more questions than it answered...

AE_Collector

Aah, I wondered if AMCer was referring to AMC cars! (your new Avatar) Another North American manufacturer now long gone.

Terry

Phonesrfun

I can't give any technical details, but I can tell you what I have done.

You can either go the technical route, or you can do the easy route, which is what I did.  To do the easy route, I bought an ATA (Analog Terminal Adapter) from a guy who hosts it on his computer.  He did all the set-up of the ATA, and my number is one that falls within his block of numbers.

For the most part, all I did was plug it in to my internet, and plug a phone into the ATA..  It was just as easy as it was when I first went on Vonage.  In fact he uses used and unlocked Vonage Motorola ATAs.

I seem to remember that he only charged me $25 for the ATA router, and that was a couple years ago, and there has been no problems with it.

Others use Grandstream routers which I understand have more user set-up features.

I did put my number that I was given into the C Net online directory.

There is also a C*NET listserve which is a forum where folks get on and discuss the technical aspects of things they are doing on C*Net.  I can give you the contact information for the person who provided me with my ATA, but I will do that privately if you wish.

-Bill G

AMCer

Right now, I'm running a bunch of old phones off a multiline ATA into my asterisk box...  Connecting into C*Net wouldn't be hard but, the instructions aren't very clear...

Is there a MASTER C*Net asterisk box that provides a SIP trunk or does it look like an extension to my box?

To place a call on the C*Net, do I set my dial plan to dial 1,8,9,* or # first? Or do I set my dial plan to default to the C*Net 'trunk' and dial a special number to use my regular SIP trunks?

To dial on C*Net do I really have to dial country code, area code, prefix and number?

xhausted110

i suggest you get on the C*NET mailing list and ask. lots of informative people on there
- Evan

AMCer

Good suggestion...  I just did. :)

Mr. Bones

AMCer, please let me know what you learn from this.

I am very interested in getting on C*Net, though I have no ATA yet. Have plenty of extra PCs to make an asterisk server.

It sounds like you are well out ahead of me, and I would appreciate benefiting from what you learn in the process. Thanks!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AMCer

If you need help with your asterisk, let me know.  I know enough to get it up and working...   I haven't played with any cool features yet.

AMCer

As far as an ATA,  I bought one of these-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlocked-Linksys-PAP2-NA-2ports-Voip-gateway-ATA-1E-NEW-/170840669684

?pt=US_VoIP_Phone_Adapters&hash=item27c6e5bdf4

Those guys in china don't respond to e-mails but it works fine.

My only complaint: There's clicking on the line when you use it.  I don't know if it's a noise cancellation setting or a quirk of these cracked ATAs.

My OTHER complaint:  Rotary dial doesn't work.

On a positive note: it is 2 line

George Knighton

Quote from: AMCer on April 20, 2013, 11:55:25 PM
Yeah, I saw that but it raised more questions than it answered...

That's what I thought when I first ran across it, too.  I went ahead and joined, and I understand a lot more than I did...but I doubt I'll ever really participate much.  My hobby changed directions and my jobs are taking more time.
Annoying new poster.

Adam

Quote from: AMCer on April 23, 2013, 09:00:58 AM
Rotary dial doesn't work.

The best ATA for using with rotary phones is the Grandstream HT-502.  It has two phone ports (FXS).  You can find them cheaply on eBay.

I currently have 6 of these ATAs in service and highly recommend them.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

DavePEI

Quote from: Adam on April 26, 2013, 02:11:32 PM
Quote from: AMCer on April 23, 2013, 09:00:58 AM
Rotary dial doesn't work.

The best ATA for using with rotary phones is the Grandstream HT-502.  It has two phone ports (FXS).  You can find them cheaply on eBay.

I currently have 6 of these ATAs in service and highly recommend them.
I have 4 of these I bought from this seller (US $34.95 ea):

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221011411721  ( dead link 8-2-17 )

In addition to my Asterisk server. They work well.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001