News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric - alive and well!

Started by mariepr, February 08, 2017, 07:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariepr

The Western Electric name survived as "Western Electric Export Corporation" - a manufacturer of vacuum tubes.  In recent years their web site was so outdated and amateurish that one wondered if they were still a viable business.  Well it appears that they have reinvented themselves (or returned) to being a developer of ultra high end audio equipment.  Want a CD player with "Western Electric" on the front and made in the USA?  There are dealers that have it.  (If you have to ask how much....)

Check their redesigned website which also has free downloads of much historical information.

www.westernelectric.com

Jack Ryan

Quote from: mariepr on February 08, 2017, 07:58:00 PM
The Western Electric name survived as "Western Electric Export Corporation" - a manufacturer of vacuum tubes.  In recent years their web site was so outdated and amateurish that one wondered if they were still a viable business.  Well it appears that they have reinvented themselves (or returned) to being a developer of ultra high end audio equipment.  Want a CD player with "Western Electric" on the front and made in the USA?  There are dealers that have it.  (If you have to ask how much....)

Check their redesigned website which also has free downloads of much historical information.

www.westernelectric.com

The name has survived but the company is unrelated - they bought the name.

Jack

jsowers

Their wire features a "laquered cotton brain jacket." Which should probably be "lacquered cotton braid jacket" unless maybe the wire comes with its own brain.

http://www.westernelectric.com/products-ks13385.html
Jonathan

mariepr

My apologies as I didn't make clear that it is only the Western Electric name that survives.  Perhaps some would have preferred that too should have faded into history as the presently-named company hardly resembles the original.  And I'm sure whatever WE company history is posted on the new site is already well known to the more knowledgeable collectors here.