News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Freinds Gift

Started by Babybearjs, October 19, 2017, 01:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

enclosed are 4 pictures of an early "design Line" candlestick phone with a 685 Subset. I did a routine preventative maint. on it and found the following: 1. the original manufacturer was "Fold-A-Fone" in Hauppauge, N.Y. 2. the phone was remanufactured by the bell system in 1976. 3. the switch hook is a 3 contact type that was used in the original candlestick phones. the dial is a #6U dial and has 6 contacts. 2 NO contacts and the pulse contacts. It had foam behind the transmitter that had to be removed due to deterioration and replaced with ripped up napkin to provide the support and insulation from the frame. I pulled up the schematic for the 881 series candlestick schematics to get an idea of the proper wiring. all the connections inside the phone are crimped and there is no terminal strip... from the looks of the original design, the phone was suppose to support a mini network and a buzzer for the ringer. based on what I could see, the phone was suppose to be self contained and not to support a subset. does anyone know anything about this particular phone, as I'm going to be completely rewiring the candlestick with the proper size wiring as the transmitter and switch hook are wired with what looks like 30 gauge wire. there os the original schematic in the base of the phone but its so small its impossible to read. what candlestick schematic should I use as a guide to get this up and working right..... would the modern mini network fit in one of these? or should I just leave it with the subset....
John

poplar1

It probably had a network and buzzer or ringer inside, and a different dial. Like the 302 recently posted, it was a customer-owned phone that was modified by the nearest WE repair shop in order to be equivalent to a 500 set. The customer then had to rent the parts from the local Bell company.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RB

Nice stick!
If you take a pic of that schematic with your cell phone, you can blow it up to an incredible largeness!
You will be able to read it pretty well ;)

LarryInMichigan

I bought a phone like that at a flea market several years ago for a friend.  It had the original internal components from Singapore (or Taiwan or somewhere around there).  It had one of those ringers that made a fast clicking sound like the ones that are found in some Ericsson phones.  The phone worked well, but sadly, my friend passed away a couple of weeks after the phone was connected, so it didn't get much use.

Larry

Babybearjs

I have yet to test it. I want to put new wiring in it and a terminal strip. based in what I was seeing, I can make it equivalent to a #51 or better candlestick. the subset is nice, cleaned up real quick using simple green. it has paint splatters all over the cover. I still have to reorder some more spade terminals to complete this job.... man I go through those things quick.... using spade terminals on everything that needs them..... along with the general repairs..... is there any certain new color code I should follow?
John

Babybearjs

I was able to resoldier the hook switch and its the same type used in a WE 50AL candlestick. I lost the center contact to the U1 element and am going to have to get another kit from oldphoneworks.com I installed a 10 conductor terminal strip on the base and printer out the schematic to a 851 D.L. base to follow the wiring.  Once I get the transmitter properly installed, I'll test it. if it works OK, I'll set it up to work on my intercom system.....if I ever get the bugs worked out of that mess.....
John

Babybearjs

well... I got the phone working, but the audio is bad..... anyone know how to fix this? I have to screm in to the phoine for the person to hear me on the other end and when I take the mouthpiece off, it helps a bit.... but the problem is still there....
John

RB

Have you tried playin Whack- A -Mole with it? :)
rap it on the table a few times, maybe helps?

Babybearjs

while I was out shopping today, I was reviewing the wiring in my head and guess what? I got the wiring on R and GN reversed! no wonder it wasn't working right.... lets see if that fixes it....
John

Babybearjs

FINALLY! it works now.... it was the transmitter module. changed it out to a new one and BANG! I had sound! I use some Cat 5E to go from the phone to the network, here's how its wired:

Candelstick wiring:
Blue: Switch Hook: Brown
Blu/Wht: Switch hook-Blue
Orange: Switch Hook-Orange
Org/Wht: Network: R
Green: Network: B
Grn/Wht: Network: GN
Brown: Dial: F
Bwn/Wht: Dial: RR

the orange wire on the switch hook is unused.... too bad the chassis isin't original. it would have made this phone easier to work on.
John