News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting marking on a finger wheel

Started by BDM, February 19, 2009, 01:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Well, maybe not that interesting. But in all the finger wheels I've been through, I've never seen this. I decided to part out one of my junk plastic 302s. I removed the #5 dial, and to my surprise, it had a brass finger wheel...Yehaaa. On the back, I noticed this stamping.

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

I've seen that mark from time to time, in the same color, on the bottoms of some phones and subsets on ebay.   Sometimes it's in two lines with a rectangle around the words, sometimes it's in one plain line like this.  I have no idea who put them there, or why, though. 
= DARRIN =

BDM

I'm thinking independent. It just doesn't strike me as a Ma Bell marking.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Brian, I have only seen that once on all the parts I have run through my fingers.  It was stamped in green just like yours.  It was on the metal transmitter cup of an E1 handset.  I don't know but I'll bet it was a Bell System stamp.

BDM

Maybe, but the reason I question that is Ma Bell was notorious for using her corp. name. Whether it be W.E. AT&T or Bell. I can't remember Ma Bell ever referring to herself as Tel Co. Now, I could easily be wrong, and please anyone educate me if I am. I know independents have used the generic term Tel Co in the past.

Just a thought, I'm of course far from sure.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

I don't know anything about that.  You're probably right.  That E1 handset was marked Western Electric but  it may have been used by a private Telephone Co.  Here's a photo of the marked part.

BDM

Hmmmmmm....This might be a good question to post in the list server. I'm kind of curious.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

Just curious is the phone marked Bell System, or could it be F1-W, and marked by the independent, upon a refurb.?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

No, it's a Ma Bell baby. But, the brass finger wheel isn't stock, so that was changed at some point.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI