Main Menu

Darn thing doesn't work!

Started by Greg G., May 02, 2012, 07:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: Sargeguy on May 04, 2012, 07:05:35 PM
QuoteSigh).  Ok, parts and work list so far:

Receiver.
Transmitter diaphragm w/screws (or maybe just get an intact transmitter).
Wiring harness.
Repaint.
Dial maintenance.

If its too much work,I can take it off your hands for what you paid for it.   ;D

Oh that's so kind of you, but I would feel bad about handing off my problems to someone else!  :) 

I've found the cap, receiver cord, and diaphragm on Phoneco, but I'm balking at the shipping and handling charges being more than half of what the parts cost, so I'm looking for other sources.  (Parts - $21, shipping and handling, $12.25).
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Is it a real cap or a repro?  If so, Imay be able to help you out.  Not sure about the cord, but i have a repro cap somewhere and a bunch of diaphragms.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Quote from: Sargeguy on May 04, 2012, 08:35:34 PM
Is it a real cap or a repro?  If so, Imay be able to help you out.  Not sure about the cord, but i have a repro cap somewhere and a bunch of diaphragms.

They don't say they're reproduction, so I'm assuming they're original parts.  Other parts they have they state up front if they're reproduction, these don't say that.  I've sent a note to Adelle on ebay asking her if she has what I need.

P125R       KEL OR WE REC CAP RUBBER         $10.00
P105         DIAPHRAGM                                       $3.50
W375        REC CORD; Brown                              $7.50

Sub Total:   $21.00
Shipping:   $9.09
Handling:   $3.25
Tax:   -.- -
Total:   $33.34
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

The one I have is plastic and looks like a WE.  Kellogg caps are round sided, WE are flatter.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

After Adelle said she's not in business anymore (may return in a few months, but not now), I continued to look around online at several places including ebay.  Phoneco was actually the best deal.  I called them to confirm that the diaphragm was the size I needed (2 1/8") so I bit the bullet and ordered them.

I have a feeling that finding just the diaphragm and screws for the transmitter is going to be difficult, so I'm looking for either that or the whole thing and will use the old one for parts if need be.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Sargeguy on May 02, 2012, 08:19:43 PM
... You could use a wiring harness, but you could also make your own.

Making my own doesn't sound too hard (in theory at least).  I would need step-by-step instructions on how to do that and parts needed.  I have a soldering iron, wire cutter/stripper, and basic hand tools.

... I would swap out the faceplate for one you can read.  I believe the ones that say AMERICAN TELEPHONE  & TELEGRAPH COMPANY are appropriate for this phone.  

Yes, I like those too after I saw one on ebay, I'm on the look out for one.

The hardest part of the conversion will be the repainting.

That's on my to-do list, looking up how to paint brass.
- Mike Row
e

HowardPgh

I have made a wiring harnes for my 51AL. Its not too hard to make.
The cord is D3B switch cord.
I have been using the Runzel cord catalog as my guide for making up cords. It gives the lengths and colors of the conductors in the cord. It makes for a good looking job. You can find it on TCI's website.
I buy bulk cords from Phoneco and make my own.

I don't think you can make a transmitter diaphragm as the the 323 is stamped out and has a thin lip that sits on a paper gasket in the faceplate.
Howard

poplar1

Wiring harness needs to be 5 conductor for this model (151AL). Often, WE took a D3B cord and wrapped two additional conductors around it.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

Let me look around my parts bin, I'll see what I can do.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Quote from: Brinybay on May 05, 2012, 01:52:56 AM
Quote from: Sargeguy on May 04, 2012, 08:35:34 PM
Is it a real cap or a repro?  If so, Imay be able to help you out.  Not sure about the cord, but i have a repro cap somewhere and a bunch of diaphragms.

They don't say they're reproduction, so I'm assuming they're original parts.  Other parts they have they state up front if they're reproduction, these don't say that.  I've sent a note to Adelle on ebay asking her if she has what I need.

P125R       KEL OR WE REC CAP RUBBER         $10.00
P105         DIAPHRAGM                                       $3.50
W375        REC CORD; Brown                              $7.50
Sub Total:   $21.00
Shipping:   $9.09
Handling:   $3.25
Tax:   -.- -
Total:   $33.34
RUBBER Receiver Cap.....it really doesn't get anymore repro than that. Good thing is they bounce right back to you when they hit the floor......Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

That type of rubber won't bounce very far.  Some of my candlestick receivers were made of hard rubber as were electrical plugs and other things.

Larry

Doug Rose

If you have to go repro, their are some WE caps that OPW and others have sold on eBay with raised letters that are very good, usually for $10.

Years ago  and I mean years ago I purchased a rubber handset from Phoneco and it was BFGoodrich rubber. When I finally retired it, it still had plenty of tread left ;D....Kidphoney Baloney
Kidphone

Greg G.

Oops, just discovered I made a boo-boo.  I was going by the diameter of the internal part (2 1/8 inch), not the shell (2 3/16), this won't fit anyway, repro or not.  But is says it's made of hard rubber and there's nothing to indicate it's repro.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Quote from: Brinybay on May 11, 2012, 03:08:14 PM
Oops, just discovered I made a boo-boo.  I was going by the diameter of the internal part (2 1/8 inch), not the shell (2 3/16), this won't fit anyway, repro or not.  But is says it's made of hard rubber and there's nothing to indicate it's repro.

You can lead a horse to water....but you cannot make him float on his back.
Kidphone

Greg G.

So what exactly are the original caps made of, plastic, bakelite, hard rubber, silly putty...?
- Mike Row
e