News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Payphone coin vaults & case

Started by HarrySmith, July 16, 2011, 07:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

For some reason lately payphone stuff has been catching my eye on eBay. I have put in opening bids on some stuff and won a few items. I do not even have a payphone! Yet.
My most recent aquisition is a case of 6 payphone coin vaults.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130542486163&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Does anyone have a key for the case or any info on where to find one? Also does anyone know what the 3 brass strips to the side of the lock are for? Appears something is slid in there.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

Never have seen a key but I think you could put a tamper proof seal there
Robby

AE_Collector

Hi Harry:

Our 6 packs of coin boxes didn't have the three metal things on the outside of the case but my guess woiuld be something to do with securing the cases either at the coin room or in the coin collectors vehicle. A bar slid down trough those slots when the cases were stacked up would prevent the easy theft of the full cases while waiting to have the coins emptied and counted.

Was the question asked in the auction about them fiutting an AE 3 slot phone your question? I'm pretty sure that these are for newer single slot payphones. They take a taller box than the 3 slot phones did although the lids are compatible with both size boxes.

The seller mentions that there is a metal tab to adjust the slot on the lids. Coin boxes have a cover over the hole in the top that opens when the box is inserted into the phone and then it closes as the box is withdrawn. This way the coin collecting person can't empty some of the coins out into his pocket. The screw driver slot on the INSIDE of the lid is to reset the spring mechanism that closes the cover the next time the box is removed from a phone.

Terry

HarrySmith

Thanks Terry. I thought those slots were for some kind of security device. I did not ask any questions. I put inthe opening bid and forgot about it until I received email that I won. I am not sure which phones they fit. I still need to do some research. Yes, the tops have the spring loaded device that opens when inserted in the phone.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 17, 2011, 09:23:17 AM
I am not sure which phones they fit.

Pretty sure they are Single Slot Payphone Boxes. Coin boxes are pretty standarized. 3 slot boxes fit all makes of 3 slot phones that I have seen. Single Slot boxes fit all makes of single slot except some company here had very different single slots that looked like vending machines to me. They had Huge coin boxes in them.

Terry