News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hawthorn Dial?

Started by Fabius, May 26, 2016, 01:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Inspired by the S marked WE parts thread I checked my 302s and parts looking for the S. Along with a few S I also found a 5H dial that I thought was dated 11 3 46 but upon closer examination I believe the 11 is in fact a H. Notice the horizontal bar making the 11 a H. So does this indicate Hawthorn? 
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on May 26, 2016, 01:16:18 PM
Inspired by the S marked WE parts thread I checked my 302s and parts looking for the S. Along with a few S I also found a 5H dial that I thought was dated 11 3 46 but upon closer examination I believe the 11 is in fact a H. Notice the horizontal bar making the 11 a H. So does this indicate Hawthorn?

Thanks for checking, I added your find also to the list.
It is interesting that so far we have only dials marked with the H– prefix.  Perhaps we are only early into this game, but it sure looks suspicious.

Yes, it is certainly an H.  Dials were not usually marked with a day, I think only Northern Electric did that.

By 1946 some parts of Hawthorne were reverted back to producing telephones, but space was tight, and they still had military contracts to fulfill, some of that work was moved elsewhere to make room.  There are stories in, for example, Bell Telephone Magazine/Quarterly,  where they describe disconnecting  machines Friday night, and moving them on trucks overnight to Hawthorne to install them over the weekend ready for the work shift on Monday morning to not loose production time. They knew exactly how long the equipment could be taken out of service before existing parts stocks exhausted.

unbeldi

Of course, the concept that the H stands for Hawthorne is still pretty tentative.

Without a database of information, compilation of examples, it would be hard to get any kind of idea of the meaning.
I started out with wondering about the –I marks, because at first I only had examples on ringers and bases.  So, I measured ringers for their frequency behavior and found essentially no difference with these.

Since they found it necessary to, say, mark dials with H, does it mean that dials were produced in multiple locations? Why are there dials (the majority) without markings then?

Fabius

FYI and database. I have a 5H dial marked S4-45
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on May 26, 2016, 10:31:17 PM
FYI and database. I have a 5H dial marked S4-45
Thanks, got your dates, the other ones too.