News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1500 Thrift Store Find for 5 dollars

Started by b3tamax11, May 03, 2019, 02:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b3tamax11

I was at a thrift store recently, and stumbled upon a Northern Electric 1500. I already have a 1500 in the 500 style case, but this is my first in the square case. The dial is dated 66, All the other internals and the handset pieces are dated 1967. However, the shell is dated 1972, and is stamped 1973 on the inside, so I am assuming this is an original 1500 that was refurbished and not a frankenphone created later. Unfortunately it is missing its dial bezel, when I bought it there was a piece of cardboard cut to fit, but I have put a 2500 bezel on it until I can get an actual 1500 bezel.

paul-f

The Bell System in the US refurbed just about anything with a 25-type dial (10-buttons) using faceplates or  housings made for 35-type dials (12-button). They added a small filler panel to fill the extra two holes.

We discussed a Princess set here:
     http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3656.0
Here's one in a 1500 set.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Key2871

I understand that finding a correct plate for a 1500 set would be great, and there is probably one out there somewhere.
But what about using a blank plate, and then using a 2500 for marking for the holes, then using a heated chisel to cut or square up the holes for a replacement plate. Just leaving the pound and asterisk alone.
Then if needed, paint the plate to at least come close to the color of the original.

It's a starting point. Even drilling holes the square the holes carefully..
KEN

CanadianGuy

If you think someone in Canada might be able to locate one more easily, maybe I can help. I don't frequent antique stores, but there's one right next to a rural telephone office I sometimes go to. I believe it's called Candle Co Antiques, just outside Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Jim Stettler

Check with Paul Wiltfong
https://www.oldphoneman.com

He used to have a lot of 10 and 12 button back-painted faceplates
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

andre_janew

I would've painted the cardboard face plate white and used it until I could find a proper one!

oldguy

Congratulations. Good luck on your dial bezel search.
Gary