News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 332L

Started by ....., July 09, 2016, 01:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy1702

Have you found the original date of this phone yet? They tended to put that refurb sticker over where the original date code would have been. Sometimes you can peel it off to find the original date code underneath.

It's interesting because by 1965 the GPO had been issuing the later plastic cased 706 for about 5 or 6 years. Back then there was a premium to pay if you wanted a 706 (known as the modern telephone). If you didn't pay the premium you usually still got a 300 series, unless you needed some kind of special instrument and got very lucky.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

Quote from: andy1702 on August 19, 2016, 03:12:13 PM
Have you found the original date of this phone yet? They tended to put that refurb sticker over where the original date code would have been. Sometimes you can peel it off to find the original date code underneath.

It's interesting because by 1965 the GPO had been issuing the later plastic cased 706 for about 5 or 6 years. Back then there was a premium to pay if you wanted a 706 (known as the modern telephone). If you didn't pay the premium you usually still got a 300 series, unless you needed some kind of special instrument and got very lucky.

No, I haven't taken it apart yet. Just put on the shelf with the others for now. Not much time with summer being here. As soon as time permits, I'll do that and report back.

I finely got around to opening up this phone. Now my question is: Can it be wired up to Bell Canada's phone line here in the house?

andy1702

Yes, you should be able to wire it up. When you take  the base off the phone and see all those screw terminals, if you liik very closely you'll see they're numbered. Basically all you should need to do is connect one wire in your incoming cable to terminal 1 and the other to terminal 9. If you look at the phone from underneath with the terminals at the top, 1 & 9 are tip left and middle left, each with a metal jumber attached to next terminal.

I'm not sure what system you have in Canada, so the above assumes it's the standard two wires and you still use the capacitor inside the phone, unlike here in the UK where everything has to be converted, which is a right pain sometimes.

Your 332 shows it's been converted because of the curly cord to the handset. This would have originally been a platted cord on a 332.

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.