News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A dull wet day brightened up...

Started by twocvbloke, September 17, 2017, 12:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Maybe a chain for your lamp on a pulley to give it a bit extra headroom when not in use.  Either that or a bubble wrap nappy for the font.  ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Quote from: AL_as_needed on September 20, 2017, 06:45:07 AM
A true lamp-er! Maybe the lantern bug really is terminal.... Kind of worried having mine hanging by the bed now...

Just make sure you duck... ;D

Quote from: 19and41 on September 20, 2017, 08:09:19 AM
Maybe a chain for your lamp on a pulley to give it a bit extra headroom when not in use.  Either that or a bubble wrap nappy for the font.  ;D

Well, when the lamp's not in use I'd usually unhook it and put it on the shelf with the 23 (as seen in the background of the picture I took), it's just I haven't put it back as yet for the moment... ;D

And yeah, I probably should put something around the font for when I do end up walking into it, that or wear a bicycle helmet all the time... ;D

twocvbloke

I just had to take down the lamp, walked into it again like on Tuesday, same circumstances (closing the window), almost the same spot on my head, at this point I'm beginning to wonder what I've forgotten, trouble is, I can't remember what I forgot...  ;D

19and41

You might try attaching a length of ball chain to the bottom of it, something that will be in your field of vision but not bonk you.  Anytime I have to work or walk under something I have to bend over to avoid, I wind up hitting it because I can't tell when I've cleared it.  That was fun working in a hangar with a number of helicopters.  I about beat knots on my head from hitting the booms.
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on September 20, 2017, 08:03:59 PM
You might try attaching a length of ball chain to the bottom of it, something that will be in your field of vision but not bonk you.

Yes, and hang a bright yellow tennis ball on the end of each chain for visiblility.

Or, better yet, given your expertise in electronics, attach 6 small motion sensors around the base of the Aladdin with a wireless interface to an alarm box that will ring a 120 dB gong anytime and as long as anyone is within 6 feet of the sensors. That should solve the head bump problem.

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

Quote from: TelePlay on September 20, 2017, 08:16:29 PM
Yes, and hang a bright yellow tennis ball on the end of each chain for visiblility.

Or, better yet, given your expertise in electronics, attach 6 small motion sensors around the base of the Aladdin with a wireless interface to an alarm box that will ring a 120 dB gong anytime and as long as anyone is within 6 feet of the sensors. That should solve the head bump problem.

Now this is an idea! Might cause a touch of hearing loss after the first 30 minutes though, but at least that would eliminate troubling phrases like "You had to get another lamp...?"
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Might just resort to lopping off the lower half of my legs and having my feet attached where my knees were, spare the lamp any further torture and all...  ;D

19and41

Say!  Howzabout...

— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I don't think the wax would go well with my hair... ;D

andy1702

I have oil lamps here although not all Aladdins. My solution to the head-banging problem is to have lamps that fit in a telescopic stand. These stands are a genuine part which would normally stand in the corner of the room (mine is behind the TV). The idea is you turn a key to slacken the stand, lower it, light the lamp, raise it up again and tighten it up. It's good because I can move it around and stand it beside a chair or table if I need to. It's surprisingly difficult to knock over too.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

The only trouble is, the lack of decent floorspace in my room, wouldn't have anywhere that I could suitably place a stand on the floor which is part of the reason for getting a hanging Aladdin lamp... :)

19and41

I just saw a stand for sale on Ebay for $600.  Maybe one day I could have a new one fabricated. 
— Arthur C. Clarke

andy1702

Quote from: 19and41 on September 22, 2017, 04:02:44 PM
I just saw a stand for sale on Ebay for $600.  Maybe one day I could have a new one fabricated.

I bought one off Ebay for £10 and it was local, so no postage. I then found the bottom half of another one at a local car boot sale for the same price.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

19and41

I've seen another at $175.  I guess it will just take some looking.
— Arthur C. Clarke