News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE90 Phone Help

Started by KYdealsPR0, July 31, 2022, 02:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Opened up this subset and found an example of each, the newer beige flat line cord has spade lugs on red and green but the dark grey mounting cord has its red, green, yellow and black solid conductors wrapped causally around their terminals. The wrapping just doesn't look WE proper, right, even if the connections are good.

RDPipes

I've seen this practice in a lot of places were only techs would have there hands into sadly.
Some are more into being quick and out of there then taking the minute or two to do a job right and neat.

KYdealsPR0

My parts came in and I have had success in some areas but still need help with a couple of things.  I added the modular adapter and connected to the wall and it gave me a dial tone and dialed out perfectly.  It did not ring when dialed, however.  Is there anything I can adjust, or will I need a different ringer?  If so, what is the best source?  Phoneco or elsewhere?

Also, the handset cord I received from Phoneco has different ends than my original cord.  I am including pics.  There is only red, green, and yellow on the new cord, and the red has two spade lugs, one at the end, and another located in the middle of one end.  One end of the cord has inner wires that are much longer than the other, and the cord itself is much shorter than my original cord.  This was invoiced as a 6ft cord, does that appear accurate?  Doesn't seem like it would be 6 ft even if it were stretched as far as it will go.

Any help or advice with the ringer and/or cord would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks to those who have helped me get this far.

Jake

TelePlay

Here's one. I think this is a straight line equivalent. Parts are expensive, this is about right but shipping is extra.

https://www.oldphoneworks.com/automatic-electric-type-80-ringer-assembly.html

Phonecoinc may have them. Also sometimes on eBay or other parts suppliers.

Before you go buying another ringer, have you tested your ringer out of circuit, stand alone, to see if it does or does not work? Someone should be able to give you a wiring diagram on how to do that.

TelePlay

Here's a 25 Hz on eBay that should work on a 20 Hz POTS line. This is not a SL ringer, it's the same frequency as the one you now have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313080042147

While prices or parts is always high, at that price it should be on eBay for a very long time.

I was assuming you tested the ringer you have before you said it doesn't work. It could just be the way it is wired into the phone. There is help below this to test the ringer "out of circuit" and wire the ringer into the phone if it does work.

poplar1

Is the black capacitor wire on terminal 9 (GROUND) or 8 (Line 2) or something else?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RDPipes

Quote from: KYdealsPR0 on August 05, 2022, 11:41:52 PMMy parts came in and I have had success in some areas but still need help with a couple of things.  I added the modular adapter and connected to the wall and it gave me a dial tone and dialed out perfectly.  It did not ring when dialed, however.  Is there anything I can adjust, or will I need a different ringer?  If so, what is the best source?  Phoneco or elsewhere?

Also, the handset cord I received from Phoneco has different ends than my original cord.  I am including pics.  There is only red, green, and yellow on the new cord, and the red has two spade lugs, one at the end, and another located in the middle of one end.  One end of the cord has inner wires that are much longer than the other, and the cord itself is much shorter than my original cord.  This was invoiced as a 6ft cord, does that appear accurate?  Doesn't seem like it would be 6 ft even if it were stretched as far as it will go.

Any help or advice with the ringer and/or cord would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks to those who have helped me get this far.

Jake

Personally I've never seen a handset cord with 3 wires and 4 connectors before, I think someone made a boo boo sending this to you.
What you need is a AE 4 conductor handset cord for a wall phone, this certainly looks like its for a desk set.
Let me see if I have the proper one in my stash. I'll PM you with what I find, we know I have the ringer.

KYdealsPR0

Quote from: TelePlay on August 06, 2022, 12:22:16 AMHere's a 25 Hz on eBay that should work on a 20 Hz POTS line. Not a SL ringer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313080042147

Thank you, the one that I have is a 25 Hz.  Should it be working if I have other rotary phones that work on the same line?

KYdealsPR0

Quote from: RDPipes on August 06, 2022, 08:03:59 AMPersonally I've never seen a handset cord with 3 wires and 4 connectors before, I think someone made a boo boo sending this to you.
What you need is a AE 4 conductor handset cord for a wall phone, this certainly looks like its for a desk set.
Let me see if I have the proper one in my stash. I'll PM you with what I find, we know I have the ringer.

Thanks for checking.  Let me know.  I thought it looked odd compared to the one I was replacing.  Much shorter and less wires.

stub

check your PM . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Jake,
      Need to find out if your network is a 1154-A or 1120-A.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Here's the wiring to check if ringer will work. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

poplar1

Since one transmitter wire and one receiver wire in a 4-conductor cord go to the same screw terminal on the network,  it is possible to use a 3-conductor cord with the red wire with 2 spade connectors in place of 2 separate wires...don't know if AE did this on the early sets.

(WE preferred to use 4 conductors on their 500 set handset cord. It was thought that the cord would last longer.)

poplar1

Quote from: poplar1 on August 06, 2022, 05:26:07 AMIs the black capacitor wire on terminal 9 (GROUND) or 8 (Line 2) or something else?

If it is on 9, then there needs to be a jumper (short wire) between 9 and 8.

Also, even if the ringer is connected properly, you may notice that it is not hitting the gongs. So the gongs will have to be placed closer together by loosening the screws and turning them.
Can you detect any movement at all of the clapper, even if it is not striking the gongs?

TelePlay

Quote from: KYdealsPR0 on August 06, 2022, 08:19:58 AMThank you, the one that I have is a 25 Hz.  Should it be working if I have other rotary phones that work on the same line?

Yes, I've edited my 2 replies above to clear my thoughts. Was working on my iPhone and that's not the best way to reply with complex posts.

Stub gave you a way to test your ringer out of circuit, sort of. I forgot to ask you if you had simply tested the ringer with a ring generator or a straight connection to L1 and L2. Stub's diagram will help you with that. If you ringer works out of circuit, than it's a wiring issue in the phone itself, getting the right wires on the right terminals.

No need to buy a new used ringer if your ringer works.