News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How long will these phones last?

Started by McHeath, November 22, 2011, 02:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

So I got to thinking tonight, dangerous I know, about the lifespan of our old phones.  This came about as we were talking about the Livermore Centennial Lightbulb, which you can read about here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light

If a lightbulb can last 110 years and still work, then what about the old phones?  We can go out and easily find phones made in 1911 that will work when plugged into the POTS network, and we can even go farther back into the late 19th century and do the same.  So something like a 1954 WE 500 at age 57 is still in it's infancy as far as it's lifespan goes, so it seems.

So it's not inconceivable that the same 1954 model 500 could last 200 years and, given decent storage, still function as a phone.  Perhaps more, perhaps many more years.  Maybe almost indefinitely, again with proper storage.  Could that same phone still work in 500 years? 

The phone I'm talking about was perhaps the nastiest, dirtiest, phone I've ever bought.  It lived it's life in a barn in the midwest, and had mud-daubers inside it when I got it.  Horrible looking mess, and the handset cord was actually ruined and had to be replaced as it was simply decayed internally and crossed wires.  Once I replaced it the phone worked fine.

So will these things ever give up the ghost?  Might they be one of the very few pieces of 20th century technology that a person of the 25th century could still make function? 

Hmm.

dsk

Well that lap has been powered continuously, so should we compare it with a phone connected, and in daily use, or to 110 years long conversation?

The life-length of the transmitter capsule is the problem, else, I'm sure it could stand the test  :)

dsk

Owain

Will there still be a POTS-based phone network in 50, let alone 500, years time, in many places?

And will people be able to cope with dialling numbers after centuries of telepathically clicking on spacebookedin profiles?

DavePEI

Quote from: Owain on November 22, 2011, 07:33:55 AM
Will there still be a POTS-based phone network in 50, let alone 500, years time, in many places?

And will people be able to cope with dialling numbers after centuries of telepathically clicking on spacebookedin profiles?

They will all be using TelePath by then. The biggest problem will be keeping their internal firewall set so people don't butt into their most private thoughts. Now, that could be embarrassing, especially when talking with a beautiful lady.
Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

Even at this stage, the use of a rotary phone is limited to special trained personnel  ;)
In the future these instruments will only be for a little exclusive group of the population.

In late 1876 a Norwegian investor claimed: The telephone is a highly interesting toy, it will never get any practical use.   ;D

dsk

McHeath

There certainly may not be a POTS network in 50 more years, but seeing as how the old phones can be jury rigged up to connect to all the various digital era telecom goodies of today I'm pretty sure that they will be connectable and usable in 5 more decades.

d_s_k tell me more about the transmitter capsule issues.

In several centuries all our current telecom systems will probably be long gone, but to a future hobbiest who collects really old phones getting one to work for amusement at home should be doable.  I can see the conversation now:

"Not another old phone dear!  How old is that one?"

"It's 248 years old honey.  Want to watch me hook it up to the pyschicom network and call my mom on the Mars colony?"

"No thanks.  What is it with you and primitive phones from the 20th century?" 

"Their cool!  Nothing else from that time period still works."

"Geesh, and how much did that one set up back?"

"It was only 5 circadian credits!  What a steal huh!  It even came with the original line cord intact!"

"Cords, wires, geesh, no one in North America has more wires and cords than you.  The only place I see wires anymore is in this house.  My friends come over and think I live in some sort of wire museum, it's embarrassing."

"No way honey, remember how I told you how they used to run copper wires all over inside their homes to power stuff?  And how they ran copper wires all over the planet to power things?  We are carrying on that legacy, be proud!"

"Geesh.  What next, are you going to want a, what was it again, internal combustion motor?"

"Internal combustion engine.  Yes I'd like one, but you know they were banned in 2167 and all known examples were destroyed.  They are pretty rare contraband now.  A guy in our antique phone club claims he knows a guy on Moonbase 3 with one, I dunno."

"See dear, all your little phone friends are into illegal stuff, they are the wrong kind of people to hang out with.  Internal combustion engines... what next will they be burning wood, growing a grass turf lawn, using one of those old style lightbulbs?  They are a bad element I tell you."

jsowers

McHeath, if you haven't seen the Woody Allen movie Sleeper, you need to. They walk into a cave and find a 200-year-old VW Beetle and it starts. I think they then drive it over a lake and it still floats. A lot of that movie sounds like your version of the future. It's a hoot.
Jonathan

dsk

Quote from: McHeath on November 22, 2011, 11:01:50 AM
There certainly may not be a POTS network in 50 more years, but seeing as how the old phones can be jury rigged up to connect to all the various digital era telecom goodies of today I'm pretty sure that they will be connectable and usable in 5 more decades.

d_s_k tell me more about the transmitter capsule issues.

As far as I know, the w.e. 500 was the first to have voltage limiting, that prolonged the transmitter lives, still it is granulated carbon pressed more or less together making the sound to electric signals.
Still, this granulate will sooner or later became a problem for  the industry. It simple becomes weared out.

Shovelhead

The ruggedness of the 500 has always amazed me.

Probably 50 years ago my cousin had a fire in her combination home and beauty shop.

We went over there after it was all over, probably a day or two later. On a desk was a very melted 500.

I picked up the receiver, dial tone, rotated the dial as much as possible due to it's warping and broke dial tone.

Seen them dropped, I even launched one off a desk at work (intentionally) years ago. And it still worked!

Babybearjs

I like this subject! the good ol' WE phones I have have made it through the years from 1946 on... this is why I hate globalization... at on time, we made the best stuff... made in the US, and made to last! then came planned obsolesance... make it to fail, so we keep people working... OK, I understand that... new products, same technique... make it to last... only not as long...like everything, If you take care of it... it will last 500 years.... it will only wind up in a museum.... BUT IT STILL WILL WORK! as far as telephone service... that will never stop... woman will always want to talk on the phone, as well as us guys... only longer...i think.... (its kind of hard to say when you have a roommate that burns up the telephone lines talking to a girl!) anyway, yes, I'm a firm believer that ol' ma Bell made some of the best telecom equipment around, and if we teach our children to take care of it, they too, will benefit from their great grandparents hard work. and, thus thae little 300 series, or that 500 series phone wil continue to outlast us! (even though the warrenty did'nt!)
John

liteamorn

In this vane I ask this question, what phone should I have connected to my phone line for everyday use? My wall phone is a NOS 1973 with a (beautiful red)generic body and handset. As beautiful as it looks I thinks it's value as a collectors item is limited.

In my bedroom I have had my finest phones hooked up. I have a matching 1959 with a soft centered dial and a matching black 1954 (both 500's).

Would I be better off getting some of the fine later versions of these phones (like my aqua '73 500)? And putting these older matching phones on display somewhere?

Phonesrfun

Quote from: liteamorn on November 23, 2011, 08:28:56 AM
In this vane I ask this question, what phone should I have connected to my phone line for everyday use? My wall phone is a NOS 1973 with a (beautiful red)generic body and handset. As beautiful as it looks I thinks it's value as a collectors item is limited.

In my bedroom I have had my finest phones hooked up. I have a matching 1959 with a soft centered dial and a matching black 1954 (both 500's).

Would I be better off getting some of the fine later versions of these phones (like my aqua '73 500)? And putting these older matching phones on display somewhere?

It's certainly your call.   Whatever you prefer.  No sense in babying the phones, because they will last.  The only reason I could think of for not using them is the additional wear and tear on the cords, but that does not stop me from using mine.

-Bill G

Owain

I tend to keep bakelites under glass, because they get easily chipped, but plastics are designed to be used. Most of my phones are 1970s-1980s anyway.

Phonesrfun

Good point about bakelite.  Some are almost as fragile as glass.
-Bill G

McHeath

I recall seeing Sleeper way way back in the early 80's on TV, but I don't remember much about it.  Clearly going to have to put it on the To Do list. :)

If the carbon in the transmitters will end up compressed over time perhaps it could be compensated for in some way.  (I'm no expert) 

Some very old mechanical things still work as intended, firearms, watches, some steam engines etc.  But for electrical things the old phones seem to be surprisingly durable.  We once had a thread here discussing if anyone had ever come across one of the classic era phones that did not work and could not be repaired.  Anyone found any such phones?  I never have, but I've not got lots of experience.