News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

switching parts

Started by carl, August 01, 2009, 09:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carl

Here's a question...I have a nice looking model 500 which does not have a ringer on it,since someone took it off,probably some years
ago to get past the phone company's rules about using and charging for extensions.Anyway,I have a similar wall model which does
have a ringer and before I try to use its ringer on the desktop,I was wondering if I can use the wallmount's ringer on it.I say this
because I don't want to take it apart and then find it wont fit.Thanks,Carl

bingster

If the phones are standard, non-party line phones, then the ringers are interchangeable.  Go for it!
= DARRIN =

carl

Thank you! I'll try it and advise. Carl

carl

Is there no end to my prowess? I actually did switch the ringer from a wall model to my desktop 500,and... it works!Believe me I am so surprised at this, that I had to step back and wonder if I had actually done it myself.Previously,my question was,is it possible to make the switch and I was told by Blingster,I think, that if everything matches,it should be okay.At first I was looking at all sorts of wires,going in every direction,but today I realized that all I had to do was take out the whole ringer intact,which I did,and then reinstall it in the desktop,so again,thanks to this site,another old phone comes out of retirement.
Wait'll my wife hears about this..she'll be thrilled...sure. Carl

bingster

It's always nice to bring one back, Carl.  Good job!  :)
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

Oh, but watch out.  the next thing you know, those wires will start making sense and looking familiar.

Glad to hear you once again had some success!

-Bill
-Bill G

McHeath

Good work!  It is rather amazing that these old phones respond to our tinkering so well.  Phone collectors of the year 2079 are in a tough go when they try to replace the "ringer" in an early 21st century cell phone.   :D

Dan/Panther

Carl;
Unless you have LOTS of time, and a lots of disposable income, don't ever take the cover off another phone...
You have been warned.
Alreaday you know that you can take a phone apart and get the ringer to work. Next time you might need a new cord, and decide to buy a junker phone to get one. Then you are hooked.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson