News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NEC ring working

Started by Greg G., August 30, 2009, 03:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Thank you Bill, aka Phonesrfun!  Bill was in town today and stopped by to work on my NEC.  After a trip to Radio Shack for a capacitor and the proper tools, it's working as it should be.  Next step is trouble shooting some static.  I thought it was the cords, but we put a new handset cord on it and that didn't help.  Bill suggested it may be the transmitter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBVudxihk5A
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

Gee cool, you've got some videos up of your phones.  Did you get that beige 500 to ring?

Phonesrfun

Hey, I had a great time, and it came with a kick-a** burger!  I've got to rmember that place.  I was thinking later on that maybe the transmitter from an AE might just fit in that handset.  The reason I think it is the transmitter is because:

• Tapping the handset makes the static change a little bit
  • Prodding and tapping the hookswitch does not make it change or get noisier or less noisy
  • We changed the handset cord
  • I poked and prodded other wires inside the phone

It is not the receiver because the receiver is on the secondary side of the induction coil and would not make that kind of noise.

You might just hold an AE transmitter in there to see if it goes static free.

Again, I enjoyed myself
-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 30, 2009, 01:06:52 PM
Hey, I had a great time, and it came with a kick-a** burger!  I've got to rmember that place.  I was thinking later on that maybe the transmitter from an AE might just fit in that handset.  The reason I think it is the transmitter is because:

• Tapping the handset makes the static change a little bit
  • Prodding and tapping the hookswitch does not make it change or get noisier or less noisy
  • We changed the handset cord
  • I poked and prodded other wires inside the phone

It is not the receiver because the receiver is on the secondary side of the induction coil and would not make that kind of noise.

You might just hold an AE transmitter in there to see if it goes static free.

Again, I enjoyed myself

I just tried it using the transmitter from the 62 AE spacesaver.  It worked, no static!  Needed new cords anyway, the ends are wore out.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on August 30, 2009, 12:17:25 PM
Gee cool, you've got some videos up of your phones.  Did you get that beige 500 to ring?

Yes, I did.  There's some stuff left to do on it, like installing a period correct dial I got from jester, and some cosmetic work, but I've put that project aside for now.
- Mike Row
e

mienaichizu

can you post a photo, maybe I can compare it with mine, my NEC's are not ringing too, which capacitor did you change?

Phonesrfun

Brinybay's phone only has one capcitor, a 1Mf.  It also required a jumper between L1 and the "E" (earth, or ground) connection.  His capacitor was leaking badly; replaced with a 1Mf 250 V from Radio Shack.  It would not ring by itself with the jumper alone.  Had the capacitor been ok, it would have.  Check to see if such a jumper will make yours work, since it was originally wired for divided ringing, and is hard-wired inside the phone that way.

-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: mienaichizu on August 30, 2009, 10:29:22 PM
can you post a photo, maybe I can compare it with mine, my NEC's are not ringing too, which capacitor did you change?

Here's pics of Bill's handywork.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

The transmitter and simplified schematic that Bill drew up.  I would be nice to get a genuine NEC transmitter for it, but I have a feeling that will be difficult to find.  Any idea of an equivalent that would work?
- Mike Row
e