News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

6E dial question

Started by david@london, October 21, 2012, 05:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

i have a manual 302 which i want to put a dial into. i came across a  nice 6E dial, NOS, and would appreciate some advice.

the 6e is a switchboard dial i think, but it will fit ok into a 302 ?

larry has forwarded me the link to the TCI site for wiring diagrams.

should say, i've not installed a dial before.

thanks for any input.

twocvbloke

Quote from: david@london on October 21, 2012, 05:46:39 PM
i have a manual 302 which i want to put a dial into. i came across a  nice 6E dial, NOS, and would appreciate some advice.

Wouldn't happen to be this one on ebay that ended earlier today?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280997877592  ( EDIT: dead link as of 5/20/17 )

I was watching that myself and almost bid thinking it was a 20pps dial, but it's the the 6F that's 20pps... :D

david@london

...in fact it is that one yes.

i did a search for 6e dials here and saw that the 6e is 10pps.....so that should function ok?

twocvbloke

Quote from: david@london on October 21, 2012, 06:27:35 PM
...in fact it is that one yes.

i did a search for 6e dials here and saw that the 6e is 10pps.....so that should function ok?

I'd guess so, it just depends on whether it fits the phone or not, but this post may be of some use (I came across it while looking up the 6E myself):

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4075.msg53212#msg53212

david@london

thanks for those links, which i hadn't found.

i'm planning to send this phone (with dial) to an old mate in sunderland ,yorkshire as a christmas prez + want him to have a dial-able working telephone.

ps are you after a 20pps dial for a special purpose..?

twocvbloke

Quote from: david@london on October 21, 2012, 07:15:21 PMi'm planning to send this phone (with dial) to an old mate in sunderland ,yorkshire as a christmas prez + want him to have a dial-able working telephone.

Has Sunderland moved then? :D

david@london

sorry, tyne and wear.

i used to go there quite a bit in the 80s+ love the place. . roker/ seaburn was our hangout. traditional brown and white doubledecker buses with 'shop at binns' ads on the back.

twocvbloke

Something like this scene I guess:

http://tinyurl.com/8ujpw3x

It's very different now, buses of all colours (GNE (with their various liveries), Arriva First and Stagecoach) are all over the place there now... :D

At least the dial should in theory work though, round these parts we're backwards enough to still accept pulse dialling on most exchanges...  :D

david@london

6E dial has now arrived....very nice NOS in box.

wish i'd bought a 5, but it fits perfectly into the phone.

any suggestions on wiring it ? the manual 302 has a terminal strip on the back of the dial blank. pls see the photo of that, and a couple of the back of the 6e dial.

any help greatly appreciated.

LarryInMichigan

David,

Assuming that the 6E contacts work the same as the 6A, and only the markings are different, the wiring should be as follows:

White from handset (currently on "BB") to "W"
Brown-Black (currently on "BB") to "GN"
Slate-Red (currently on "SR") to "R"
Two blacks (currently on "BK") to "B"
Brown-Yellow (currently on "BK") to "Y"

Larry

poplar1

The contacts are a little different but it should work the way Larry indicated.

The 6E was originally used on PBX and central office switchboards. 6A superceded the 5H on 302s.

The contacts are shown in Bell System Practices Section 501-162-100 in the TCI Library.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

I may be way off here but I seem to remember somebody somewhere saying switchboard dials work at 20pps versus the normal 10pps.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Harry,

6F and 6G are 20 pps switchboard dials. 6E is 10 pps.

501-162-100
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HowardPgh

I don't think the 6E has enough contacts to work in a 302 phone.  It is setup like a 2A dial rather than a 2H type. It would probably work in an older type phone. 6A is usually found in 302s, it is set up like the 5H dial.  5H and 6A dials have two moving off normal springs, while the 2A and 6E have one moving off normal spring.  See BSP 501-162-100 and look at the diagrams thatt show the springs layout.
Howard
Howard