News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

6E dial question

Started by david@london, October 21, 2012, 05:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

thanks larry and poplar ! this forum is absolutely great !

came in about 6pm this eve,.... saw instructions, ....followed them........ all working a-ok now.

i know that a 1961 switchboard dial was not intended for a 1944 army signal 302, but it does look good on there.

cheers, david.

david@london

Quote from: HowardPgh on November 01, 2012, 03:30:38 PM
I don't think the 6E has enough contacts to work in a 302 phone.

howard....... all i can say is that everything's working nicely....... dialling out is no problem.

david

poplar1

Actually, you can leave off the red-slate wire that normally goes from L1 on the induction coil to R on the dial. All this does on a 5H or 6A dial is short out the line whenever the dial is turned (R=L1 and BK=L2 through the Y/BK dial contacts and the Yellow and Yellow-Brown hookswitch leads), except that the L2 is opened and closed for the dial pulses. Thus the resistance of the phone goes from zero (line shorted) to infinite (line opened) to represent a square wave. But on the 500 (#7 or #9 dial), this is no longer the case, and I doubt it makes much difference on a 302 to have the red-slate lead.

If you check Figure 5 of the BSP mentioned (501-162-100 Issue 7), you will see that instead of shorting R and BK , the 6E shorts R and GN. Both open the receiver while dialing so that you don't hear the clicks of the dial pulses.

I agree that a 6A or 5H dial would be preferable, but I don't know how available they are overseas.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.