News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wooden Booth with Third Pane of Glass

Started by Nick in Manitou, October 31, 2016, 10:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

We were passing through the lobby of the Congress Hotel in the center of Tucson last weekend and I just had time to take a poor photo of one of the two identical phone booths they had there.

I noticed that there was a bit more room inside these booths and an additional pane of glass that I don't think I remember seeing in a phone booth before.  Both the booths had chairs in them instead of the seat attached to the booth corner.

There may be a bunch of these, but since it struck me, I figured I'd post it here in case it was unusual.  I took a quick look but was unable to see any identifying marks as to the manufacturer of the booths or any phone company ID.  The payphone in the booth was sitting on the shelf instead of being mounted on the bracket as would be expected.  There was a sign in the booth instructing the public to use a calling card, as the phone tends to eat coins and the management will not refund any money. 

If there is interest, perhaps the next time we are in that area I will try to get better photos.

Is there a thread in the forum that identifies the different types of phone booths?  I took a quick look but I might have overlooked it.

(Yes, there is a strange sculpture of a woman stretched across the top of the phone booths.)

Nick

(I don't know why the photo shows up sideways.  It shows up correctly on my computer and only comes up horizontal when I upload it! ???)

Pourme

I don't know much about phone booths but I wondered if Maybe those were custom made phone booths? Nice looking and a bit roomier.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Nick in Manitou

There are some shots of the phone booths available on line through TripAdvisor and one through ACTA!

http://atcaonline.com/pictures/?id=470856815

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g60950-d74414-i30681364-The_Historic_Hotel_Congress-Tucson_Arizona.html

I didn't notice when I was looking at the booths in person, but I see from the photos that the chairs in the booths are actually mounted to the floor like soda fountain seats were back in the day.

There is also a switchboard displayed in the lobby. I have attached a photo of the switchboard I grabbed from a website.

From what I see on the web, they even have rotary phones in the rooms!

Nick

Pourme

The mysterious lady is missing from the second photo...
Quote from: Nick in Manitou on October 31, 2016, 11:05:46 PM
There are some shots of the phone booths available on line through TripAdvisor and one through ACTA!

http://atcaonline.com/pictures/?id=470856815

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g60950-d74414-i30681364-The_Historic_Hotel_Congress-Tucson_Arizona.html

I didn't notice when I was looking at the booths in person, but I see from the photos that the chairs in the booths are actually mounted to the floor like soda fountain seats were back in the day.

There is also a switchboard displayed in the lobby. I have attached a photo of the switchboard I grabbed from a website.

From what I see on the web, they even have rotary phones in the rooms!

Nick

Benny

paul-f

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on October 31, 2016, 10:10:37 PM
... I noticed that there was a bit more room inside these booths and an additional pane of glass that I don't think I remember seeing in a phone booth before.  Both the booths had chairs in them instead of the seat attached to the booth corner.

The BSPs are your friends.

This looks like a 7-type booth. See C44.103. There's a copy in the TCI Library.
The 7-type booths were MD in 1949, so they've been there a while.

Search for additional related BSPs for more info.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Pourme

You are the man, Paul-f...

A beautiful and no doubt valuable piece of Americana, no doubt!
Benny

Jim Stettler

There is one for sale on craigslist Colorado Springs, . It has been painted white.  $1,000
https://cosprings.craigslist.org/atq/5817724644.html ( dead link 03-09-21 )

Feel free to post the photos from the ad.
Jim S.

I remember seeing it inside of the Union Printers home, That would of been 10 years ago.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

They are open to offers!

Somebody get it!.....All it needs is a little paint remover & a phone.
Benny

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Pourme on November 02, 2016, 07:21:40 AM
They are open to offers!

Somebody get it!.....All it needs is a little paint remover & a phone.

And somewhere to display it.  I think it is too tall for my basement.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Nick in Manitou

Jim, I took your suggestion and am posting the other photos from the Craig's List Ad.

Paul-f, Thanks for the reminder that there is a lot of information in the BSPs!

One of the photos shows the mount for the phone in this booth seems to be in the same place as in the booth in the hotel in Tucson.  It is a bit hard to see, but it shows the phone mount squarely positioned on the shelf, facing the seat. 

It would be fun to have the $$ and the space for this project.  With the extra spacious booth and what looks to be an original chair, it seems that this would clean up to be a very nice piece of telephone history for display and everyday use at home.  Maybe if I play the lottery...

Nick

Pourme

I'm with you, Jim & Nick. If I had the $$ and the space, I'd love to buy a d restore this. I recognize the style of the chair. My Dad had one of those, less the pedestal, at his desk when I was a child.
Benny

Jim Stettler

It had a "House" Phone in it 10 years ago. You could call up to the rooms from the  lobby.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,