News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

replacing feet on a 544B

Started by Babybearjs, May 08, 2016, 02:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

Whats the best way to replace the feet on a WE 544B? I noticed the feet match the 302 pattern and am wondering of the 302 feet would fit.
John

andre_janew

I don't know either, but I do wish someone would try it and find out!

AL_as_needed

Do you have a measurement to go off of? Even if it isn't exact, something that's close enough would not be too noticeable.
TWinbrook7

poplar1

Please provide a photo. I didn't think they lookded the same as 302 feet, which, except for 1936-37, are screwed on.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Western-Electric-Bell-544-Multi-Line-4-Button-Key-Telephone-Set-1956-1A-/282016282078?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Babybearjs on May 08, 2016, 02:49:52 AM
Whats the best way to replace the feet on a WE 544B? I noticed the feet match the 302 pattern and am wondering of the 302 feet would fit.

Is it missing feet or do you just want to recover them? (Assuming they are covered metal and not molded rubber) I imagine you could drill out the rivets, recover them reinstall with new rivets or small bolts.
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

Assuming they are riveted, suede covered metal feet, this info posted by dencins may help restore what you may have.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15968.msg165397#msg165397

A photo of your base would be useful here,

Babybearjs

it seems you guys already did provide the photos... anyway I just wanted to ask about this because I'm going to try using some 302 feet and see how they fit. going through the total reriveting and such is too much for me and I don't have the tools. the phone has a burn mark on the side of the shell from what looks like a soldering iron touched it while on. the cosmedics of the phone is not important as it will get used around the house as a extension phone. but I did want to replace the feet as the 2 feet are down to the metal. Whats the best way to remove the rivets? what size drill bit should I use?
John

andre_janew

The 302 feet use #8 machine screws.  They would each need a 5/32 inch hole to install.  However, I'd try drilling the rivets out with a 1/8(.125) inch drill bit first. 

dencins

The shank on rivets for 302 and 500 are 9/64" - either a 1/8" or 9/64" bit will work.  Best to use a drill press so the bit does not wander and mess up the hole in the base.  After the rivet is drilled you can use a punch to push it out.

The 500 and 302 foot pads are different shapes.  Also the dimples on the foot pad that are used for alignment are in different locations.  If you use 302 foot pads you will need to flatten the dimples to get the foot pad to sit flat to the base.

Dennis Hallworth